License Question

Questions on Installation
varaonaid

License Question

Post by varaonaid »

Hi,

I've installed Turboprint on my laptop and it's fantastic. I've decided to go ahead and purchase the license.

I have a question that I wanted to clear up. I have a couple of pc's - laptop and desktop and wondered if I need one or more licenses. I see that it's a "Single User License" rather than a "Single Computer License" and I thought I read somewhere on your site that as long as you're not using it (ie printing) from more than one of your computers at one time, that it was OK to have only one license. I can't find it now, though, and wondered if this is correct?

Thanks in advance!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

good to hear that you like our product!

This is correct - as long as you are the only user, you may install TurboPrint on your desktop and laptop.
varaonaid

Post by varaonaid »

Thanks for the info! I'll be purchasing a license the first of the week. Great product!
robin55

Post by robin55 »

I'd echo the OP's sentiments entirely, but am still unclear about the definition of a 'user' - a rather vague concept in Unix/Linux terms, which as you surely know only recognises user names and associated UIDs.

So, are we talking about a Linux user, as defined by the numerical UID and/or user name, and if so, what if the names or UID's on two networked machines aren't the same?

Or, perhaps as I think you may perhaps be suggesting, does a single user license imply only one job in the (final server) queue at any one time, regardless of where on the network, and under what UID, it was submitted?

Or something else entirely? Please explain comprehensively (don't spare the technical detail!) before I rush out and purchase a license, possibly to be sorely disappointed.

I am, of course, talking Linux + CUPS + networked printing.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I mean the person, not the user name or UID.

TurboPrint is not "locked" to user id numbers (and the number of jobs is unlimited) - we trust our users to use the software according to the license terms.
mchilmar

licence question

Post by mchilmar »

I have purchased a key for the 64 bit version and also one for the .deb version . I have changed to openSUSE 10.3 . Do I have to purchase another key for either the RPM or .tgz version
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

You can use your existing key file.
birdbrain

lost file for license

Post by birdbrain »

I received my cd for Turboprint ion 11-29-07 when I had Susue on my computer.I can't find the floppy I put the key file on and now have Fedora 8. How can I get the keyfile sent to me again?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

...has been sent again to you by email - please backup on floppy disk or CD.
harasta

Post by harasta »

Hello,
what license should I buy for all users of 1 linux computer and 1 printer?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

A single user license is sufficient for installation on one computer (even if several user accounts exist).
Hawks

Post by Hawks »

This thread suggests I can have a single licence on my laptop and desktop as I am a single user - however the buy online options starts to suggest differently.. this looks like I need a family licence.. I have 2 computers and 1 printer.

Thanks
Paul
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the term "single user license" was formerly used for TurboPrint 1.x. It has been replaced with "single computer license".

This means that for use on a laptop and a desktop a "family license" is required.
2CV67

Re: License Question

Post by 2CV67 »

Hello!

I am happily using TurboPrint in Lubuntu 12.10 - thank you.
On the same PC, I now dual-boot Xubuntu 12.04LTS.

Can I use my TurboPrint from Xubuntu as well as from Lubuntu?

If so, could you possibly suggest what I need to copy/link to get it working?

Thanks again!
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: License Question

Post by zedonet »

Hello 2CV67,

I'd do a fresh install of TurboPrint on Xubuntu.
You can install TurboPrint multiple times on the same PC if you have several boot partitions or virtual machines.