two problems with TP & Ubuntu 8.04

Questions on Installation
cliff

two problems with TP & Ubuntu 8.04

Post by cliff »

Greetings, I have downloaded and installed the 30 day Turboprint trial program on Ubuntu 8.04.1 and It controls the printer, a Pixma iP90 very well.

I do however have 2 problems that I would like to resolve before buying the license - which I don't mind doing.

I'm using a USB modem on /dev/ttyUSB0.
If the modem is connected and in use on computer startup everything works normally.
But if the modem isn't connected at startup and I plug it in, the Gnome ppp dialer can't detect the modem and defaults to the phone line modem.
I have to restart the computer with the modem plugged in to make it work.

Also. I have the error: "No connection to Turboprint Daemon" but the printer works fine.

Thank you very much for any advice, ideas or help on this.

Cliff
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello cliff,

is your first question TurboPrint related? I assume that the modem behaviour is the same with TurboPrint installed and without.

Regarding the "No connection to TurboPrint Daemon" message, apparently the turboprint daemon was not initialized at system startup.
Please try the following command in a shell window:

sudo tprintdaemon 2

After entering your administration password, the TurboPrint daemon is started. Please check if the TurboPrint Monitor now shows your printer`s status and ink levels.
In case the "no connection" message persists, are there any error messages printed in the shell window?
cliff

Post by cliff »

Hello Zedonet,
The modem problem is TP related. If the modem is plugged in on bootup, it works fine. If I then start the TP daemon, it works perfect and the modem continues to work. If I go offline and unplug the modem and then plug it back in, then the modem isn't seen by the dialer program (Kppp).
Anytime the TPdaemon is working first the modem isn't recognized.

The restart of the daemon at the cli shows the following:

sara@Toshiba:~$ sudo tprintdaemon 2
[sudo] password for sara:
TP-Daemon Version 2.01-2
Debug Level set to 2
locale::open: couldn't open locale file
sara@Toshiba:~$

After doing this there is no error message and the monitor indicates the printer status. Of course, then I have to restart to initilize the modem.

Also, can I remove the desktop Icons without affecting TP?

Thank You very much for your time and advice.
Cliff
rodericj

Turboprint error no connection to daemon

Post by rodericj »

I have just purchased turboprint because I have given up an HP A4 printer which has excellent support in Ubuntu for a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 A3 printer. I realised before purchase that I would need your printer driver.

It works quite well but there is one major irritation. The monitor says "Turboprint error - no connection to daemon". If you "sudo tprintdaemon 2" it works OK but you have to do this every time you boot up. I have reinstalled it but it makes no difference.

Can you help? I am using Ubuntu 9.04 RC 64 bit.

Rod
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the problem is now fixed in the new release TurboPrint 2.10.
The download is available on www.turboprint.info