Ubuntu 8.04 and Canon i250 not printing.

Questions on Installation
Mickey Mouse

Post by Mickey Mouse »

I believe that Turboprint has been installed correctly, but when trying to print a test page from the toolbox nothing happens.

The ony clue I have is the Spooler Messsage:-Unable to open device 'hal:///org.freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_d'

Can anyone please help a 81 year old newbie. (Any replies as simple as possible, please)

Thank you, Mickey Mouse
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello Mickey Mouse,

apparently the selected device driver for sending to printer via the USB interface to the printer is wrong.
Please open the TurboPrint Control Center and change your printer setup. As connection you should select the entry with your printer name and "TPUSB" appended.
The resulting URI shown in the Control Center should be "tpu://Canon/i250" or similar.
Your selection "hal://..." does not work.
Mickey Mouse

Post by Mickey Mouse »

Many thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I am now having trouble with the USB Ports, and the printer is not connected. As soon as I can get them repaired I will come back to you. Mickey Mouse
Mickey Mouse

Post by Mickey Mouse »

Furthur to my last message, the USB ports are now working, but I am still unable to print. I followed your instructions but still get hal:///org/free.....etc whatever I do. Have you any other help you can give me. Thanks, Mickey Mouse.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Please make sure the printer is connected an online, then try the following shell command:

sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb

(enter your admin password when requested)

Your printer should be listed then - if not, there is a problem with the USB interface.
If the printer is shown, enter the TurboPrint control center, press the "+" button, select your printer in the connections menu (with USB or TP-USB connection).
Mickey Mouse

Post by Mickey Mouse »

Many thanks for your help. My printer is listed in the command line but my knowledge of Linux is so limited I am unable to proceed, but all is not lost as I am dual booted with Xandros and Turboprint-1.91 loaded without a hitch, so I can still print with Linux. I will try again in the future when I am more experienced. Thanks again, Mickey Mouse.