Printing labels on Canon Pixma IP4200

Questions on certain printers and applications
Klaus Rasmussen

Printing labels on Canon Pixma IP4200

Post by Klaus Rasmussen »

I installed TP2 (version 2.12.1) earlier today. This was to be able to print labels on CD's and DVD's under Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32 bit.
Covers come out fine, but labels is not an option as far as I can see.

Finding at least three (3) places to insert disc as target, ended in final attempt that about 20% of the label hit the target disc.

If you don't have a link for a "How to", I cannot see myself use 30 Euro on this program.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello Klaus,

unfortunately in the English manual of TurboPrint there is no special part about CD printing (currently only in the German manual).
However, there are only a few thing to consider when priting on CDs:

You can print on CDs using programs like OpenOffice Draw or Gimp. In OpenOffice you first need to set the page size to 14x14cm, with page margins of 1cm on each side - resulting in a printable area of 12x12cm.
When printing, TurboPrint automatically cuts off all parts lying outside of the inner and outer circles of the CD.
First you should test if your prints are correctly positioned by printing crosshairs on an old "normal" (not a printable) CD. You can just wipe off the ink with a tissue afterwards. A test document can be found in the directory "/usr/share/turboprint/doc".

For printing on CDs please check the following settings:

Page size must be set to "CD/DVD" or your custom CD page format, "Feed" must be set to "CD tray". Set "Paper" to "CD printable" and Print quality to a high quality setting.

If your prints are not positioned correctly on the CD, you can define a custom CD page format with the "Sizes" menu of TurboPrint Control. There you can change the diameters of the inner and outer circles and define offsets for the printing position.
Klaus Rasmussen

Post by Klaus Rasmussen »

Thanx for the answer, that's exactly what I managed to find out myself (after asking here). It's printing just fine now.
Still working on the Gutenprint-drivers though. They print the right size of label, horizontally correct but vertically 5mm too low.
So I have a little less than 4 weeks to figure out how to change that (if possible)