TP no longer printing anything

Linux distribution specific questions
mk9

TP no longer printing anything

Post by mk9 »

I've been running TP fine for over two years on Ubuntu 8.04 server as a network printer driving a Canon Pro9000, most recently using TP 2.13.

Yesterday I decided to upgrade to TP 2.22, so downloaded the newest dpkg and am running it under the demo license. The upgrade went without any trouble. On two client Macs (running 10.6 on one, 10.7 on the other), some test prints worked fine, both using TP's test page (over X Windows) and from apps on the clients. On both clients I also deleted the old version of the printer and added it again, which brought in the newest PPD file for the Pro9000. It appears to be a little different as there are a few more menu entries. I also printed successfully with the newly added printers on the clients.

This morning I made a minor update to the kernel on the Ubuntu server because it had been newly released and I always keep up to date (this is a common occurrence). Because the kernel was updated, I rebooted the server, which also went fine. But now absolutely nothing prints on the Pro9000 anymore from TP, neither image files from clients, or TP test page from the TPCC Toolbox. In all cases, everything indicates the file is being correctly generated and sent to the server queue, the green light on the printer flashes as it is apparently receiving data, but nothing prints. I have cycled power on the printer, have confirmed that the right port is in use (tpu://Canon/Pro9000 and the printer is on the TP-USB #1 port), and I can see ink levels and watch job status from TP Print Monitor. Job status is also shown as completed successfully on the CUPS admin page and client printer status windows. But nothing prints -- the printer's green light simply stops blinking, the print job disappears from the queue, it is reported as successfully printed, and there are no error messages that I can find either under /var/log/turboprint or /var/log/cups (well, nothing obvious to me; there are some CUPS errors but they don't appear related to this issue but I don't really know).

On the other hand, I can send a small BJL command file to the printer to print out a nozzle check using the "lp -o raw -d pro9000" command, and that works fine. I do this weekly to prevent nozzles from drying out and checked just now that it still works, so the fundamental connection to the printer and the server's queue and "lp" command all seem OK.

I've also tried restarting the TP daemon using "/etc/init.d/tpdaemon restart" and confirmed it starts with "ps", and there is no warning or error.

Where can I look next? Increasing the debug level seems like a good start but I don't know how to do that.

Thank you,

-Mike
mk9

Re: TP no longer printing anything

Post by mk9 »

It appears that I have fixed the problem. On a hunch I looked at the locations of files in the two TP packages I had (2.13 and 2.22), and noted that many of the paths had changed and so there may be conflicts between 2.13 versions of files and 2.22 versions. It is possible that after the reboot, the path search order might have been altered and maybe TP 2.22 was picking up old versions from 2.13. I used "dpkg -r" to remove both the 2.13 and 2.22 installations of TP, then reinstalled 2.22 by itself, and after a little tweaking to re-add the printers on the clients, everything appears to be working again. I am not sure if I skipped a step or not in the original upgrade, but it would appear necessary in an upgrade, at least in some cases, to remove the old installation before upgrading.

-Mike
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: TP no longer printing anything

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback!

It might be an upgrade related problem - we will test the upgrade process.