Cannon Pixma 9000Pro does not print

Linux distribution specific questions
bhlevca

Cannon Pixma 9000Pro does not print

Post by bhlevca »

Hi,

I have the Mac version of the driver and printing works flawlessly. However, I wanted to use the printer from digikam on Linux openSuSE 12.1.
I managed to user TurboPrint to configure the printer, check the nozzles, I align the heads, etc., but printing does not work. It starts spooling and it prints "Printer error!" in the Monitor window.

I checked the following logs for more clues, but they don't not reveal more information.

Code: Select all

cat  /var/log/cups/error_log 

W [05/Jan/2012:22:09:54 -0500] [Job 330] Printer error!
W [05/Jan/2012:22:14:11 -0500] [Job 331] Printer error!
E [05/Jan/2012:22:14:45 -0500] Returning IPP client-error-not-possible for Cancel-Job (ipp://localhost/jobs/331) from localhost
W [05/Jan/2012:22:19:48 -0500] [Job 332] Printer error!
W [05/Jan/2012:22:23:45 -0500] [Job 333] Printer error!
The log from above is for 4 failed printing attempts.

cat /var/log/turboprint/turboprint.log
It returned empty.

I'd like to purchase a license, but I'd like to see that it works first. The trial will expire at the end of the month.

Thanks,
Bogdan
bhlevca

Re: Cannon Pixma 9000Pro does not print

Post by bhlevca »

I will answer this question I asked myself earlier.

The problem is the configuration of the driver. The process is a little confusing because once you have selected a printer and a profile it does not really matter what settings are set in the printing application. In may case there were many things changes , page size, quality, etc.

It works now. I got the ICC colour profiles from the Mac driver and imported them into the TP system.
Overall it is a good system, but workflow improvements are necessary specifically the management of the profiles and the notification system between the printing application and printer.

Cheers,
Bogdan
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your problem report! However, I don't understand completely what caused the problem and how you solved it.

Generally, you set the default print options in TurboPrint Control. Just before printing you can verify and adjust print options in the application's print dialog. From which application did you print?
bhlevca

Post by bhlevca »

I am not 100% sure what caused the problem, but I suspect that it dd not print because I did not set up any colour profiles and colour spaces. The printer profile was showing the Status :incomplete

The only message I got back was Printer error! It would be useful if you put more detail in the error.

I took the ICC profiles from the Mac or windows Canon driver and used them.

It appears that once you set up a printer in TP it will keep that resolution page size etc., and it does not follow your settings sent by the application you are printing from.
I set up a Photo quality printer profile at 9600dpi and one at 600dpi for drafts. If I want good quality I choose the first printer(TP profile).

One thing I noticed is that the colour did not come out as those printed from Mac. They were less vibrant. I suppose that it is because of the ICC profile. From Mac the colours on paper are the same as those on the screen. The colours printed from digikam with TP are different. How can I ensure with TP that the colours on the paper will match those on the screen? I printed a DNG photo and lightroom may do a better job converting the colours to the colour space than digikam. Maybe a JPEG would be better rendered on paper. Do you have a better explanation?

Thanks
Bogdan
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

TurboPrint/Linux and PrintFab/MacOSX should print identical if the same media type and RGB color space have been selected. Application color management might affect the output, so I'd start with comparing prints of JPEG images, e.g. from Lightroom on the Mac and e.g. Digikam on Linux.