Setting defaults with turboprint command doesn't work

adrian

Setting defaults with turboprint command doesn't work

Post by adrian »

I set up various different queues to access the same printer with different defaults, and then I discovered that even though I had configured the "fast" printer using "turboprint" to be 300 dpi on plain paper it was actualy printing by default at 600 dpi on inkjet paper. It was necessary to go into the CUPS configuration to change the CUPS defaults to get the settings the way I wanted. This would appear to make the turboprint command useless for setting defaults.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Setting defaults with turboprint command doesn't work

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

some applications don't use the user printer settings but the "root" printer settings that you can also access from the CUPS web frontend.
To change the "root" settings, start TurboPrint Control as root user, e.g. from a Terminal window by entering

sudo turboprint

See also this thread:

http://www.turboprint.info/support/view ... rint#p3189
adrian

Post by adrian »

Will the root settings override the user settings? I mean, if I want to change the settings should it suffice to change them just for root or do I have to also change them for the user?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

No, the "root" settings don't overwrite the user settings.

Only if no user settings are specified, the root settings also become effective for applications that read the user settings.