Canon iP1000 problems

Bologrew

Canon iP1000 problems

Post by Bologrew »

I was running Fedora Core 6 and Turboprint 1.95-1 with my Canon iP1000 and everything was working fine until I noticed that my printhead was a bit out of alignment. I tried running xtpconfig and using the toolbox function to adjust the alignment. The printer LED flashed three times and the log file said a job had been printed but nothing came out of the printer.

I upgraded Turboprint to 1.95-2 hoping that would fix the problem. Unfortunately there was no difference. I tried a nozzle check and again, the printer LED flashed but nothing came out. The turboprint.log file has entries like this in it after the attempts:
lp -o raw -d iP1000Col /tmp/tp16082_0.tmp

I then tried the "check ink quantity" toolbox function. This failed saying "printer not found". Then I noticed that the printer connection was listed as "usb:/dev/usb/lp0" which is apparently the new CUPS URI. I remembered setting the printer up as a local one with a device setting of "/dev/usb/lp0" though. I created a new printer using the "/dev/usb/lp0" format and tried the ink quantity check again. It now worked. Switched to the CUPS URI and retried - didn't work.

Might I just add at this point that the ink quantity check isn't particularly useful because there is no way to reset it when I change ink cartridges. The Canon Windows driver has a manual setting to reset the counter for each cartridge so it would be really useful if you could add a counter reset option to Turboprint.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get the printhead alignment and nozzle check to work? What is the preferred address/URI to use for local printers?

Best regards,
Nicholas
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I will check the head alignment procedure.
(Note: it is also possible to do the alignment from the Windows driver - the alignment values are stored in the printer).

The ink check will not work as long as there is a "stuck" print job from the alignment process in the print queue. It should work again if you clear the print queue, e.g. from TurboPrint Setup.