" bug

LughClyde

" bug

Post by LughClyde »

I just found out that TurboPrint 2.17-2 will not print files that the name begins with a double quote - ". It gives an error that a file can't be found and picks a letter in the file name that appears to be random. The file name is legal in ext4 and NTFS. GIMP opens it just fine, but TP won't print it. Interestingly, it will print with a single quote - ' - as the first character.

Thanks,
Clyde
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: " bug

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I just tried to reproduce the problem - I created a new document in the GIMP, saved it as "unnamed".xcf (including the double quotes) and printed it using the "TurboPrint..." print plugin and also via the regular GIMP print dialog. However I could print without problems.

Can you please give me detailed instructions how to reproduce the problem and where the error appeared (command line / error dialog window)?
LughClyde

Post by LughClyde »

I have a file named:

"'Ole', Tom, Sam, Len".png

GIMP opens it just fine. When I print it, in GIMP, using TurboPrint (from the File menu), I get the dialog box in the attachment.
Error message
Error message
message.jpeg (30 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
I have another file named:

"Sam, Joe, Vern & Gene".png

When TurboPrint attempts to print it form GIMP is gives this message:
message 2
message 2
message2.jpeg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
A 3rd file is named:

"In a serious mood. I like to spend a quiet evening on the beach".png

The message is:
message 3
message 3
message3.jpeg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
I am using Linux Mint 10 in an ext4 partition. (GIMP and TurboPrint are in the same ext4 partition.) However, the files are on a disk that is formated in NTFS - to be compatible for dual boot and my backup software. NTFS/Windows is kind of flaky with double quotes. My experience is that Linux looking at NTFS handles double quotes just as well as it does in ext4 or any other supported file system. So, GIMP finds and opens this file just fine from the NTFS disk. GIMP's standard printing prints it just fine too. TurboPrint appears to be doing something different. Whatever it is doing seems to be getting confused on how it is looking at the file name on an NTFS partition. I'm not sure if you are using the OS to access this, but Linux and GIMP don't seem to be using the same access method that TurboPrint is using.

I hope this helps to narrow down the problem and we can find a solution.

Thanks,
Clyde
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thank you for the screenshots. I could now reproduce the problem - if both double quotes and spaces are present, the print fails. We will fix this in an upcoming TurboPrint release.