Random blank feeds

Jalok

Random blank feeds

Post by Jalok »

Printing to the Canon IP4800 PrintFab driver sometimes produces blank sheet feeding at the middle of the print job. This is particular bad when printing double-sided pages, as those blank prints ruin the whole material. I'm using Windows 8 Pro 64bit and Canon IP4800 v2.56 drivers, but the problem occurred with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Canon 2.41 drivers.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Random blank feeds

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

thank you for your feedback!

Can you please post some additional information:

- from which application did you print (program & program version)?
- did you set up the printer in PrintFab control center to print directly to the USB port ("new usb printer" or "other port") or to redirect the output to Canon's printer driver ("already set up")
- is the "blank feed" a thin white line - or is the page ejected randomly (lower part of the page remains white)?
Jalok

Post by Jalok »

zedonet wrote:Hello,

- did you set up the printer in PrintFab control center to print directly to the USB port ("new usb printer" or "other port") or to redirect the output to Canon's printer driver ("already set up")
- is the "blank feed" a thin white line - or is the page ejected randomly (lower part of the page remains white)?
With random blank feeds I meant blank pages ejected randomly through the print job. They are not additional blank pages, but substitute some of the real ones. I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro v10.1.6 but this problem occurs when printing from other programs also. I set the printer up clicking on ADD button and selecting it as an "already set up" printer.

I've made additional tests at my end I concluded the problem is related to profiles, as it does only occur when selecting a custom profile for "Print Mode / Paper". If I select a default one like "Plain Paper", the problem ceases to occur.

Also, I would like to report another two bugs I have noticed meanwhile: 1. PrintFab driver does not honor Acrobat's "collage copies" option; it does honor "collage copies" from another program (Word 2013) though; 2. It seems not to honor modifications for "Ink Drying Wait Time" at Properties / Options tab.
Jalok

Post by Jalok »

Jalok wrote:
zedonet wrote:Hello,

With random blank feeds I meant blank pages ejected randomly through the print job. They are not additional blank pages, but substitute some of the real ones. I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro v10.1.6 but this problem occurs when printing from other programs also. I set the printer up clicking on ADD button and selecting it as an "already set up" printer.

I've made additional tests at my end I concluded the problem is related to profiles, as it does only occur when selecting a custom profile for "Print Mode / Paper". If I select a default one like "Plain Paper", the problem ceases to occur.

Also, I would like to report another two bugs I have noticed meanwhile: 1. PrintFab driver does not honor Acrobat's "collage copies" option; it does honor "collage copies" from another program (Word 2013) though; 2. It seems not to honor modifications for "Ink Drying Wait Time" at Properties / Options tab.
Today I updated to PrintFab v0.91beta but no success in fixing those problems. Also, I changed connection type from "already set up" to "other port" and selected to USB port which corresponds to the printer. The very same problems remain.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I have no explanation yet - the Canon iP4800 driver works reliably under Linux and Mac OS X. As the problems occur randomly, I suspect a problem with data transport to the printer, e.g. problems with an external USB hub or a cable that is broken or too long. You could try if a direct, short connection from computer to printer with a different cable fixes the problem.
Jalok

Post by Jalok »

zedonet wrote:I have no explanation yet - the Canon iP4800 driver works reliably under Linux and Mac OS X. As the problems occur randomly, I suspect a problem with data transport to the printer, e.g. problems with an external USB hub or a cable that is broken or too long. You could try if a direct, short connection from computer to printer with a different cable fixes the problem.
I have exchanged cables, turned other USB devices off, but no success. Actually, the Canon drivers work flawlessly, although they do not have custom profiles support. It seems something to do with PrintFab indeed. Is there anything else to try?