Epson 3880 and ICC profiles

Scodz

Epson 3880 and ICC profiles

Post by Scodz »

I've been through the pdf manual and read some forums here, but I continue to get strange color casts on my prints, which I assume means I am double profiling. I've tried several different combination of settings and can't find the right one.

I'm trying to print with Photoshop CS on Canvas 17"X 42" and hopefully longer.

I've created a profile in Printfab to which I have imported the ICC for my BC 800 M canvas.

In Photoshop , should I use Photoshop manage colors - BC 800 M or Printer manages color
(Iv'e tried it both ways and more)

Then in Print Fab driver settings dialogue through photoshops print screen

Main tab > Paper Canvas 800 (the profile I created with imported ICC data

Color Tab > Color mode RGB , Color Space BC 800 M, intent > Perception

I'm very late on this print job and would appreciate any help
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Epson 3880 and ICC profiles

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

yes, you might be "double profiling" - the setting "Color Space" = "BC 800 M" looks suspicious, it should be set to the image color space instead ("sRGB" or "AdobeRGB").

When creating a new profile, make sure to print the color chart with the PrintFab driver (the Epson driver has a different linearization and different black generation & light ink usage). Please see my post "ICC Profile Creation with PrintFab" http://www.turboprint.info/support/view ... =24&t=1164

The ICC profile can be used either in A) PrintFab or B) Photoshop, not both.

A) Color management in PrintFab:

Photoshop should send sRGB or AdobeRGB data
- you can either use "printer manages color" which will cause Photoshop to send sRGB data
- or "Photoshop manages color" - in this case set the printer color space to "sRGB" or "AdobeRGB"

In PrintFab, set "Color Space" to "sRGB" or "AdobeRGB" (= input color space, select the color space that Photoshop uses to send the image to the driver)
and "Paper" = "Canvas 800" (= output color space, will internally select your ICC profile)
and "Intent" = "Perception" or "Photo optimal"

B) Color management in Photoshop

In the Photoshop print dialog, select "Photoshop manages color" and "printer color space" = "BC 800 M" (your ICC profile)

In PrintFab, select "Intent" = "No correction"
Scodz

Post by Scodz »

Thank you for your timely response, i'll try these settings out today and let you know.
Your response says
"When creating a new profile, make sure to print the color chart with the PrintFab driver (the Epson driver has a different linearization and different black generation & light ink usage)"

I do not have a spectrometer, colormunki or otherwise.

I assumed when I import the paper manufacturers ICC data into my new printfab profile the corrections would be accurate to the 3880 printer and I would not need to print a color chart, mail it and wait for a profile. Is that my mistake?

I have not printed any color charts
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Yes, this is the explanation for the color cast: A profile provided by the paper manufacturer will work only for the original Epson printer driver, not for PrintFab. A new color profile must be created for PrintFab, either through our profile creation service or with a spectrometer and profiling software.
Scodz

Post by Scodz »

alright thank you, what is the charge for this service?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The profile measurement costs EUR 14.95, the procedure is as follows:

- purchase a "Color profile order code" in our online shop http://zedonet.com/en_shop_tp_profile.phtml
- start PrintFab control center
- open dialog "Profiles" and add a new profile entry
- enter a name (this name will be added to the list of papers in the PrintFab driver settings), black ink type (matte/glossy), media type (e.g. plain, matte, semi/glossy), print quality and ink limit (250 is a good choice)
- use the button "Print profile chart" to print the profile - your color profile order code will be requested
- mail the printed profile chart to us
- we will return the color profile by email

For details, please see the PrintFab PDF manual, chapter 5.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

How do I request a profile for a specific paper for an Epson SC P800? I did not see an instructions about how to go about doing this, except for a charge amount.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

To request a profile, you have to print a profile color chart on that specific paper and send it to us. Detailed instructions can be found in our post directly befor your post.