"Ink Limit"

piktas

"Ink Limit"

Post by piktas »

Hello. I have a little problem with my printer. I have an Epson P50 and I print on matte paper. I print with original Epson drivers. The problem is that none of Epson paper profiles fit my paper. Ink density is either too low or too high. The only one that fits is "plain paper" but the highest quality Epson allows on this type of paper setting is "Fine" and this is not enough for me (I need photo quality).

So I stumbled upon PrintFab that offers me exactly what I need - control over ink limit. But it does not work with icc profiles that were intended for default Epson drivers. All colors are way off - I understand that this is expected behavior of my printer.

My questions are:
1) Is it possible in any way to bypass the maximum allowed printing quality in Epson drivers to allow higher quality printing on plain paper settings? (Like a little driver tweak or something, I believe this is only software limitation and not hardware).
2) Is it possible to use PrintFab just to adjust "Ink limit" setting and turn off all color controls? Something like "No color management" in Epson drivers to be able to use my current icc profile.

I ask this because I have an icc profile for my paper and ink (made for default Epson drivers) and all I need is to be able to print on Epson's "plain paper" ink density with higher quality. Is there any way this can be done with PrintFab's help without making an additional icc profile?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: "Ink Limit"

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

ICC profiles that were created for original Epson drivers will not produce good results with PrintFab (or other RIP software) because of different density curves, maximum ink amounts and color mixing techniques (how much light cyan / light magenta is used and how much black is used in dark colors).

The proper way to get correct ink amounts & correct colors is to create a new color profile, which can be easily done using our color profiling service: a color test chart is printed from PrintFab Toolbox and sent to us and the color profile is returned by email. One profile is included with PrintFab Pro, additional profiles cost EUR 14.95 (this is also possible for PrintFab Home).
piktas

Re: "Ink Limit"

Post by piktas »

I have created a profile, everything seems ok now. But what is the difference between media settings in PrintFab? I thought that in Epson drivers media selection was only used to adjust "ink limit". But in PrintFab you can set ink limit AND media type. What is the difference between those two? Do media types in PF have the same parameters as Epson drivers? If yes, then what is an analog in printfab for Epson's plain paper setting besides the obvious one? (Plain paper setting in PF allows only low quality printing just like Epson drivers.)