PrintFab and Windows 10?

Gadzoo

PrintFab and Windows 10?

Post by Gadzoo »

Hello,

I just installed PrintFab and am using it to control an Epson R1900. My OS is Windows 10. I have printed from three different programs: Lightroom, Capture 1, and QImage. In all cases, color management is turned off in the software and managed exclusively by PrintFab. I have been using default settings in PrintFab with the appropriate Epson paper selected (e.g., glossy, satin, etc.). In all cases the prints have a very obvious color cast--Usually green, but it seems to vary with subject matter.

The Epson driver works fine, but I would like to have the control that appears to be available in PrintFab.

Does PrintFab work with Windows 10? Is yes, why is it doing such a poor job of printing photos on my Epson? I would think that it should do a reasonable job with the included Epson profiles.

Thanks.

Bob
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: PrintFab and Windows 10?

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

colors should be good if you are using original Epson inks and paper (otherwise it makes sense to create new profiles, e.g. using our color profiling service).

Just make sure that the application color space is the same as the PrintFab driver color space (see attched screenshot).
Attachments
quimage-printfab.PNG
quimage-printfab.PNG (124.78 KiB) Viewed 7362 times
Gadzoo

Post by Gadzoo »

Yes I am using original Epson paper (Ultra Premium Glossy) and OEM inks. And software and PrintFab are set to sRGB. But there is a very obvious green cast with the included profiles. Maybe a printer to printer variation? However I have been able to create my own profiles and they are working out very well indeed. Much better than profiles I have created with the Epson driver. These are profiles for non-Epson papers (Ilford papers mostly). Definitely will buy the software.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

If there is a "green cast" in black&white prints, it actually might be some printer-to-printer variation. In color prints such casts are usually not noticeable. How did you create your profiles?
Gadzoo

Post by Gadzoo »

Printed color charts (RGB Target 1.5) using GretagMacBeth (now X-Rite) software. Then read the targets with the i1-Photo spectrometer. Charts were printed according to the directions in the PrintFab manual.

There is a very obvious green cast using the built-in Epson profiles on color photos. Most obvious with portraits where color shifts are visible in the skin color. It's a moot point now that I have my own profiles. I did not create them for Epson papers since I rarely use those. I primarily use Ilford papers.