Canon PIXMA iP5200R AWOL on wireless home network.

Post Reply
globetrotterdk
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Canon PIXMA iP5200R AWOL on wireless home network.

Post by globetrotterdk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:03 pm

I am using the turboprint_2.16-2 driver on an Ubuntu Lucid system. My Canon PIXMA iP5200R printer prints when connected with a USB cable, and also works with a wireless connection from my wife's Windows XP laptop. Unfortunately, it refuses to print from a wireless connection with TurboPrint on my Ubuntu Lucid system.

I have tried duplicating the USB printer profile and replacing the USB preferences with

Code: Select all

socket://192.168.1.103
or

Code: Select all

socket://192.168.0.108
which are listed as the wireless and wired IP addresses in the Canon Windows printer app, but still no luck. What do I need to do, to get the printer to work with a wireless connection and my Ubuntu system?

zedonet
Site Admin
Posts: 1870
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:02 am

Post by zedonet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:30 am

Hello globetrotterdk,

probably the network address of the printer is wrong or not reachable from your Linux system.
You can check that with the terminal command (from a shell window):

ping 192.168.1.103

Press Ctrl+C after some seconds to stop the output. You can see if the printer replies or if the data packets are lost.

I am a bit confused by the two different IP addresses you tried for the printer. Did you check what the actual IP address of the printer is?
Additionally, this address must comply with the internal network addresses of your network, e.g. if your computer has the address 192.168.2.100 then your printer must have an address starting with 192.168 or even 192.168.2 depending on your network mask.

Only if the ping command shows replies from the printer you can try to set up TurboPrint with that socket address.

globetrotterdk
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Post by globetrotterdk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:30 am

zedonet wrote:Hello globetrotterdk,

probably the network address of the printer is wrong or not reachable from your Linux system.
You can check that with the terminal command (from a shell window):

ping 192.168.1.103

Press Ctrl+C after some seconds to stop the output. You can see if the printer replies or if the data packets are lost.

I am a bit confused by the two different IP addresses you tried for the printer. Did you check what the actual IP address of the printer is?
Additionally, this address must comply with the internal network addresses of your network, e.g. if your computer has the address 192.168.2.100 then your printer must have an address starting with 192.168 or even 192.168.2 depending on your network mask.

Only if the ping command shows replies from the printer you can try to set up TurboPrint with that socket address.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have again tried to ping the printer, without success. The Canon proprietary app is the only way I know of to find out the IP address of the printer, so I have been trying to use the wireless IP address listed. Is there another way to find the printer's IP address?

I seem to remember that TurboPrint used to autodetect the printer, but this no longer seems to be the case. Is this a TurboPrint or a printer issue?

zedonet
Site Admin
Posts: 1870
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:02 am

Post by zedonet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 am

If the printer is connected to your wireless network, it should be autodetected by the BJNP network and should then be visible in TurboPrint Control center when adding a new printer.

You can execute bjnp also from command line (applicaiton "terminal") by entering

/usr/lib/cups/backend/bjnp
(64bit Linux: /usr/lib64/cups/backend/bjnp)

BJNP will print a list all autodetected Canon network printers.

Another possibility is to print a network status page on the printer:

1. switch off printer
2. hold the paper feed button on the printer, then switch on the printer while holding the feed button. Wait until the printer LED flashes 6 times before releasing the paper feed button
3. the printer will print a network status page that contains the printer's IP address

globetrotterdk
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Post by globetrotterdk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:25 am

zedonet wrote:If the printer is connected to your wireless network, it should be autodetected by the BJNP network and should then be visible in TurboPrint Control center when adding a new printer.

You can execute bjnp also from command line (applicaiton "terminal") by entering

/usr/lib/cups/backend/bjnp
(64bit Linux: /usr/lib64/cups/backend/bjnp)

BJNP will print a list all autodetected Canon network printers.
OK, I ran BJNP and got the address. I then deleted my manual configuration in the TurboPrint Control center. When I tried to add a new printer, TurboPrint doesn't appear to detect anything. It defaults to a standard printer default and when I choose "other printer", I get a series of choices with blank fields.

zedonet
Site Admin
Posts: 1870
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:02 am

Post by zedonet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 pm

You can add the printer manually:

"Printer is"="standard printer"
"Choose port"="Other"
"Other port"="bjnp://<ip-address>".

globetrotterdk
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Post by globetrotterdk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:52 pm

zedonet wrote:You can add the printer manually:

"Printer is"="standard printer"
"Choose port"="Other"
"Other port"="bjnp://<ip-address>".
It works :) Is there any reason that the printer IP address should change, and how do you make it static? I have run into problems before where the IP address would change, or TurboPrint for some other reason suddenly couldn't find the printer. This would force me to delete the default printer profile and create a new one to get TurboPrint working again.

zedonet
Site Admin
Posts: 1870
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:02 am

Post by zedonet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:48 am

The printer gets the IP address from the DHCP server within your network - this is usually your wireless router. The DHCP server should always assign the same IP address to the same network device - unless it is reconfigured to use a different IP address block. I'm not an expert in this area, so there may be exceptions.

It is possible to configure your printer to use a static IP address, but this has to be done with Canon's configuration tool from a Windows computer.

Post Reply