Problems printing accurate Datacolor targets with TP

Questions on certain printers and applications
bobby06

Problems printing accurate Datacolor targets with TP

Post by bobby06 »

I have been trying to profile my Canon ip4850 for non-Canon ink & paper but have run into problems. My system is a dual boot using Win xp and Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64 bit with XFCE desktop and TurboPrint 64bit 2.25.

Using a Datacolor Spyder3print SR I can get superb colour corrected prints in XP, but when I follow the method outlined in the TP manual - create and print using a new profile without colour data - the Turboprinted targets don't come close to the windows ones, especially in the darker tones (noticably lighter). If I profile these targets and import the resulting data into Turboprint this (uncorrectable) deviation is confirmed because the dark tones in my prints come out muddy and compressed.

I have tried everything I can think of to correct this problem in the TurbPrint settings and nothing seems to help, but it's worth noting that although the empty TP paper profile I used has all the colour adjustment tabs correctly grayed out this is not true in Gimp or Image Viewer, - even when I select the 'empty' profile in those applications the colour space and rendering are active and can be altered?

Briefly then I have spent way to much time/ink/paper on this problem and am now stuck, so any help would be much appreciated.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Problems printing accurate Datacolor targets with TP

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

it would be helpful if you could post - or email to mail (at) zedonet (dot) com - scans or digicam photos of the targets and prints:

target printed under Windows - target printed with TurboPrint
final print with color profile (Windows) - final print with color profile (TurboPrint)

If you send a photo, please put all four sheets on one photo (to make brightness comparable).
bobby06

Re: Problems printing accurate Datacolor targets with TP

Post by bobby06 »

I have to apologise for the delay in getting back to you, but unfortunately work came first. Since I made lots of notes on the targets in question (after I had profiled from them!) I thought it best to start again from fresh and produce new ones. Of course once I had I couldn't resist producing and trying out those new profiles and quite to my surprise all the prints tested came out spot on, no more compressed muddy shadows but instead some really fine images.

In all honesty I don't know what changed, I guess when your working across two differing operating/file and printing systems there's plenty of scope for errors to creep in, but the good news is that since Turboprint was not at fault can you consider the matter closed.