GIMP and TurboPrint

Questions on certain printers and applications
rquint

GIMP and TurboPrint

Post by rquint »

I've just installed TurboPrint on an i386 PC running Ubuntu 6.06 (all upto date as of 18 Oct 06) and have run into a problem printing from the GIMP.

A test page from the System->Printing->iP1600->properties prints correctly.

If I print from Eye of Gnome evereything works fine. The installed printer, a Canon Pixma iP1600, is displayed as a choice in the Print dialog along with the Create a PDF document and Generic Postscript, and my test .bmp file prints correctly.

However when I open the same file in the GIMP and attempt to print it the Print dialog box (entitled <file name> - Print v5.0.0-rc2 - 16 Jan 2006) only offers the choice of "Printer" for Printer Name and displays Printer Model: BJC 250. If I attempt to add a New Printer and run Setup Printer my choices for Printer Make: Canon do not include the iP1600 or the other printer for which I purchased TurboPrint, the i250, (I haven't tried hooking the i250 up yet.)

Printing from the GIMP worked correctly with my old printer, an Epson Color 500. I have cupsys-driver-gutenprint, foomatic-db-gutenprint, gimp-print (Gutenprint) and ijsgutenprint (all v. 5.0.0-rc2) installed.

Any suggestions?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

In GIMP you have to choose the "Postscript Level 2" printer driver and import the PPD file of the TurboPrint driver. The print command must be edited - remove the "-o raw" option.

Details can be found in the TurboPrint manual:

http://www.turboprint.info/manual/turbo ... html#ss7.2
rquint

Thanks, it works

Post by rquint »

Is there anyway to get the GIMP to remember this setting--at least within a session--so you don't have to repeat the whole sequence each time?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Yes - just press "print and save settings" instead of "print" in the gimp print dialog.
awbiegst

Turboprint and Canon 5200

Post by awbiegst »

The just given procedure doesn't work for me. The only way to get 4x6 prints borderless is to make a new printer with xtpsetup and set the gimp printing on that new printer, page size on A4 borderless and decrease manually the image to 4x6 on the A4 page.
Other options (e.g. both 4x6) gives just a small band of about a cm at the end of the paper.
I haven't cheched the other printer settings as quality and paper type.
regards,
Ton
ahaf

Re: Turboprint and Canon 5200

Post by ahaf »

awbiegst wrote:The just given procedure doesn't work for me. The only way to get 4x6 prints borderless is to make a new printer with xtpsetup and set the gimp printing on that new printer, page size on A4 borderless and decrease manually the image to 4x6 on the A4 page.
Other options (e.g. both 4x6) gives just a small band of about a cm at the end of the paper.
I haven't cheched the other printer settings as quality and paper type.
regards,
Ton
I have the same problem when running CUPS 1.2. It works fine with CUPS 1.1.

edit: I have a Canon Pixma IP4000

New edit: The problem was with the first build of Cups 1.2. It works fine with latest build :D .
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Note: Problem with print settings being ignored when printing from GIMP was present in CUPS 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 and is fixed in 1.2.3

Additional Note: Another problem with colors being modified by GIMP's (or actually Gutenprint's) Postscript Level 2 driver is fixed in Gutenprint 5.0.0rc2.