Epson L100

Questions on certain printers and applications
kknight

Epson L100

Post by kknight »

Hello,
I've recently purchased Epson L100 inkjet printer and now I'm using it with Turboprint 2.28 driver. Currently the newest Epson inkjets are not directly supported by Turboprint , but it still works quite fine - for example, L100 is just a S21/22 model enhanced with CISS, so the Turboprint drivers for S21 and S22 work OK. But still, there's some problem:
Colours are very accurate on plain paper and even Epson Photo-Quality inkjet paper, but I can't get good colors on any photo paper. I've tested different sorts of semi-gloss and glossy papers, including Epson Photo Glossy, but I'm totally frustrated with the results.
The photographs appear to be greenish (or maybe bluesh), low contrast - they look like they're tinted. Both "Glossy photo" and "Premium Glossy Photo" settings produce such bad results. I managed to get some better results using "Inkjet paper" setting while printing on photo paper together with manual color control (I lowered the cast of Yellow, increased Contrast etc) in Turboprint options, but the result is still far from ideal.
This seems to be quite similar to the asspain of tunin Gutenprint driver (still no luck there too), but it' starting to make me down after paying money for Turboprint license...
So,
- is it because of S21 driver being used on L100? (they use different types of ink, btw)
- will Epson L100 be supported in Turboprint 2.29?
- are you going to resolve these color issues?
- is there any way to fix the colors right now? (different driver/settings/color profile)

Thank you for any response in advance!
kknight

Re: Epson L100

Post by kknight »

Will it be supported in version 2.30?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I think the colors are wrong because the L100 is only partially compatible to the S21/S22 printers. I'll try to find out if there is a better compatible TurboPrint driver that you could use.
kknight

Post by kknight »

Currently I set "Epson Matte Heavy" paper setting for printing on photo paper. The colours are generally natural and good, only dark shades tend to be too dark. For example, brown hair looks darker than it is in real life. I suspect that this occurs due to paper setting mismatch: the ink absorbs differently between matte heavy and glossy photo papers.
On the other hand, printing with "Epson Photo paper" setting on photo paper produces greenish outprint - it looks like black ink are not used at all (CMY). So if there's another driver that matches L100 better - I'd be happy.
kknight

Post by kknight »

Still no support for Epson L100.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

If only the color reproduction needs to be improved, you can have created a special color profile for your printer and paper by our color profile measurement service. To do this, purchase a "Color profile creation" code (EUR 14,95) in our online shop, then print a color chart via the color mangement dialog of TurboPrint Control (the color profile creation code is requested when printing the chart). Send the printed color chart to us via mail, the created color profile data will be returned via email.
We recommend to create the chart in the print resolution where you need the best color reproduction. The color profile will also be functional for the other print resolutions but color accuracy might be a bit lower then. Please also read the intstructions about color profile creation in the TurboPrint manual (available as PDF on our web site).

Of course a single color profile can only achieve high color accuracy on the type of paper that it was created for.
kknight

Post by kknight »

zedonet wrote:Of course a single color profile can only achieve high color accuracy on the type of paper that it was created for.
I use S21 driver and it produces excellent results on plain paper and matte heavy paper. The problem occurs only with any photo paper - the colors are greenish, too bright and not vibrant at all. Currently I have to use Matte heavy setting to print on Epson Glossy Paper. The result is decent, though dark tones are sometimes gone to complete black due to such setting and paper mismatch.
I wonder if S21/22 printers differ from L100 in terms of photo printing. Can you tell?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

As these printers use different inks, the color reproduction might be completely different. Another reason might be that the driver does not completely fit to the printer and thus in photo mode some settings are different. Anyway an indiviual color profile should strongly enhance the color reproduction on your photo paper.