Canon Paper Profiles

Questions on certain printers and applications
Phiznlil

Canon Paper Profiles

Post by Phiznlil »

Hi,

I am currently evaluating Turboprint with the Canon Pixma Pro 100.

So far it seems to work well but I noticed in the Paper options there is Canon PhotoPlus Semigloss SG101, whereas the only Semi-gloss available which I am using is SG-201. The results seem to be quite good but not as good as using Canon driver in Windows. is this the correct profile to use for that paper? I assume SG-101 has been superseded by SG-201 and there may be some difference. Also are there plans to add Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster (LU-101) profile?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon Paper Profiles

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

color reproduction with Canon SG-201 may be a bit different from Canon SG-101. It may take some time until we update the paper profiles. If you are interested, you could print color profile charts and send them to us and we could create additional TurboPrint color profiles for SG-201 and if you want also for LU-101. This would be free of charge for you if we can include these profiles with future TurboPrint versions. Please let me know and I will email you detailed information on how to print the profile charts.
Phiznlil

Post by Phiznlil »

Hi,

That sounds good, please do send me the instructions. I don't have any LU-101 paper right now but will be getting some within the next week or so.
Phiznlil

Post by Phiznlil »

Hi,

The profile for the SG-201 seems good so far, I was surprised at how quickly I got it, less than three working days after I sent it, I didn't think the mail would even have got to you in that time. The colours seem to be more accurate than using the SG-101 and the blacks appear blacker.

One observation I have is that the monitor reports that photos I print using this profile are using zero for the Grey and Light Grey ink for all photos, is that to be expected?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I'm sorry - actually something went wrong and the profile was created in 6-color instead of 8-color mode. I've just sent you updated instructions by email.
Phiznlil

Post by Phiznlil »

Hi,

Firstly I would like to say I am amazed at the promptness of the profiling service. I sent you two colour charts from the west of Ireland on Friday lunch time and received the profiles by email on Monday morning. I suppose we should also congratulate the postal services in our respective countries! Also I would like to confirm that the above problem is resolved following your instructions and the new profiles now use all 8 colours.

After a few test prints I would say that the colour accuracy of both the LU-101 and SG-201 is exceptional. I have a well colour controlled workflow from camera to screen and now I am delighted to be able to print confidently to these papers and get the exact result I am expecting.

On printing black and white (having selected the Gray Photo Colour Mode) prints on both papers (after drying) seem to be almost neutral toned, there is maybe a very slight hint of blue/green tones in daylight and I notice that the monitor reports some very low usage of Cyan and Light Cyan, and a minute amount of yellow, but I think for a dye based inkjet printer the result is still very good. Any tips on getting an even better result? I imagine changing the reference light setting the right place to start?

This brings me to another point. When printing Black and White to some other papers already supported by the driver I get quite strong colour cast. Printing to PT-101 I get quite a moderate sepia cast and printing to PP-201 (and to a lesser extent MP-101) I get a strong blue cast. Do I also need custom profiles for these papers or is there another possible explanation?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

In Gray Photo mode, mainly gray and black ink is used. A little bit of primary colors may be added to maintain neutral grey.

As an example, the internal values for a reproducing RGB=128,128,128 are
PT-101: Y=3% LM=7% K=10% Gray=42%
PP-201: Y=1% LM=1% K=13% Gray=42%
MP-101: LM=1% K=10% Gray=42%

Using only small amount of color inks should mean that results are "stable", i.e. using a different printer might affect print intensity but should not increase color cast.

There are two main reason for color casts in black&white prints:

1. Optical brightener (the effect is a blueish color cast when viewed at daylight)
A possibility to compensate the optical brightener are TurboPrint's A/B sliders.
The spectrometer has an UV filter and is "blind" to optical brighteners, so using the reference light slider doesn't help.

2. Metamerism (color a bit dependent on light source)
This can be compensated with the reference light setting - slide up for daylight, and down for light bulb.
However, Canon's gray and black inks are supposed to have low metamerism.

You can compare your prints under a light bulb (no or only little UV light) to determine how strong the influence of optical brighteners is.
Phiznlil

Post by Phiznlil »

Thanks for that detail, I think I understand metamerism now and can confirm that the black and white prints made using the profiles you sent me for SG-201 and LU-101 look close to neutral under most different lights, I am very happy with them.

However I still having the problem with other papers, the colour cast appears to be apparent there under a lamp as well as in daylight, I have attempted changing the a and b slider in the color/gray tone setting but I can't seem to find an accurate setting.

Here is an example, the paper used from left to right is PP-201 SG-201 and PT-101. The top row of prints were printed in Windows using Canon's driver - Gray Photo setting, and the bottom row were printed through TurboPrint - Gray Photo setting (I included SG-201 using the profile you sent as a reference). This photograph is slightly more highly saturated than the actual results but the effect is close to how I see it.

zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thank you for the illustration!
This is a bit strange as my own test prints on PP-201 look quite neutral.
If you like we can make profiles for your printer for PP-201 and maybe also for the other papers (MP-201, PT-101).
Phiznlil

Post by Phiznlil »

This may be a silly question, but are we also using the same ink, Chromalife 100+ (not 100) ? And would that make a difference?

Yes, I can send you charts for those papers, I would certainly like them to be more accurate than they are, but what order numbers to use?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

We used the same ink - only Chromalife 100+ ink is available for this printer. I'll send you profile order codes by email.
Phiznlil

Post by Phiznlil »

Hi,

Thanks, the charts are in the post. In an attempt to eliminate any reason why my system could be different I downloaded the latest firmware update available from the Canon website, however when I was about to install it I discovered it is version 1.020 and my printer is already on version 1.030 - I am not sure if that has any significance.
Phiznlil

Post by Phiznlil »

The profiles were received double quick as usual. I installed them yesterday and have done some test today. The colours are now spot on and the B&W prints appear quite neutral for all the papers. I am very pleased, many thanks!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Thank you for testing and for your quick reply.

I'm still trying to find out what the problem was - my profile charts look quite the same as yours, but I'm going to make comparison measurements.
Phiznlil

Post by Phiznlil »

Please let me know if you need me to do anything to help.