Inconsistent Results Pixma Pro 100 Paper Profiles--Linux

Questions on certain printers and applications
URTHJ

Inconsistent Results Pixma Pro 100 Paper Profiles--Linux

Post by URTHJ »

I’m stymied as to why some printer profiles work when printing using TurboPrint in Linux, and others don’t.

Basics: My printer is a Canon Pixma Pro 100, using Turbo Print 2.30-1. I save 8-bit TIFFs from RawTherapee (in s-rgb format) and print from Gimp 2.8.4, using its TurboPrint function. [I’d like to print via PhotoPrint, but it doesn’t yest support the Pixma Pro 100.] I make sure that the paper that I’ve profiled is selected in both Gimp and in TurboPrint (both of which produce the same TurboPrint Control function).

From this routine, with a reasonably calibrated IPS monitor, I get good results from two Canon papers (Pro Platinum PT-101 and Plus Glossy II PP-201). But my results with two third party papers (Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss and Red River Arctic Polar Satan) are both too dark and way over-saturated. In all cases, I’ve selected the correct paper (and its profile—which I created from the .icm files supplied by Canon and the .icc files supplied by Iford and Red River) in both Gimp and TurboPrint Control (which seem to duplicate each other, but not always one making the changes in the other). In all cases, I’m printing using pretty standard settings (under “Color” Intent=Perception; Color Mode=Color (RGB); Color Space=Apple RGB [because using sRGB often prints a page with 5% of the total print—but that’s a subject for another time], and everything else (contrast, saturation, etc.) set to default. And—to be clear—these settings are identical for the two profiles that work (see above) and the two profiles that are too dark and saturated (see above).

It isn’t the .icm/.icc profile from Ilford or Red River. I can produce excellent results on both the Ilford and the Red River papers mentioned above when printing through Lightroom 4.4 to a Pixma Pro 100 printer using the same profiles on a Windows machine.

Am I missing a crucial step? Or is something else rendering certain paper profiles basically unusable in Linux via Turbo Print?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistent Results Pixma Pro 100 Paper Profiles--Linux

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

TurboPrint can use any ICC profiles, however profiles from paper manufacturers are designed for use with the original manufacturer printer drivers. As color reproduction is dependent on paper, ink and driver, these profiles cannot produce very good results using TurboPrint. (Even without color correction, different printer drivers have different color output, depending on the dithering algorithm, linearisation, usage of photo inks, black generation etc).

This should not be a big disadvantage as you can have your personal color profiles created by our color profiling service at costs of only EUR 14,95. To get the best color reproduction possible with any paper and ink combination, print a color chart from TurboPrint Control, mail it to our profiling service and receive the individual profile via email.