Canon Pixma MP610 hangs when printing in Ubuntu 13.04

Questions on certain printers and applications
tov

Canon Pixma MP610 hangs when printing in Ubuntu 13.04

Post by tov »

I have upgraded my Ubuntu system from 12.10 to 13.04 (64-bit). Since then I have difficulty in printing with TurboPrint (2.13-1 64bit) on a Canon MP610 connected via USB. The printer worked fine in 12.10. When I print, the Printer Monitor states "Printing", but the printing stops at approx 30% and the printer displays "Printing". After I press the cancel button on the printer, the printer continues to display "Cancelling..., Please wait momentarily" and the Printer Monitor displays "Cancelling print job" and hangs. I have to restart the printer so that I can use it again.
I have tried updating TurboPrint several times. I also tried printing with the canon driver and it works.
The printer also works fine in Windows.
I wondered if anybody has a solution for this problem?
Attachments
print.log.zip
(9.19 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon Pixma MP610 hangs when printing in Ubuntu 13.04

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the log file only shows that the print job cannot be sent to the printer. Does the printer print 30% of the page or is the progress only visible in TurboPrint Mointor and the printer doesn't start?

I recommend to update to the current TurboPrint version 2.30.

If that doesn't help, you can try to switch the "usb backend" that sends the print data to the printer:

Start "TurboPrint Control" and open the "Edit" dialog. In the list "Choose port" there should be two entries for your printer - "Canon MP 610 TP-USB" and "Canon MP 610 USB". The entry "TP-USB" uses the TurboPrint specific usb driver that allows status monitoring during printing, the entry "USB" uses the standard Linux usb driver.
tov

Post by tov »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the mistake, I am actually using 2.30-1_amd64.deb. The printer prints approx 30% and then stops. I must admit, sometimes the printing works, but then, after some time it stops working properly. I will try the USB mode and I will let you know how it works after testing it for few days.

Ovid
tov

Post by tov »

Hi,
I tried the USB mode. This is even worse, I have to plug the printer out from the socket to reset it. Any other ideas?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

As even the standard CUPS USB backend seems to have problems sending out the printer data on your computer, there might be a problem with the USB driver. Currently both backends are using the usblib library for sending USB data. As an alternative, the TurboPrint usb backend can be switched to use the old usblp drivers. If you have some experiences with a text editor and altering system files as superuser, you could try this and set the USB-TP backend to usblp by adding the line "USB_MODE=0" to the "system.cfg" file in /etc/turboprint. In case this line was already present (e.g. USB_MODE=1) just alter it.
Please note that these changes only have an effect on the TurboPrint USB-backend, i.e. you need to change your TurboPrint printer connection back to "tp-usb".
tov

Post by tov »

Thank you very much for the reply, I have made the changes and I can confirm that the printer now works as expected in TurboPrint. I have also installed the Canon driver (details here) and it seems to be printing ok from CUPS.