using Epson's profile on an R2400 printer

Questions on certain printers and applications
ramestica

using Epson's profile on an R2400 printer

Post by ramestica »

Hello,

I have been printing from linux just recently and I'm very happy to see that the results are good. I have been trying TP on an Epson R2400 printer:

- epson K3 inks
- photo black
- epson ultra premium photo paper luster

In printer settings I have selected 'Epson Premium Satin' as the media type. The color mode is Gray Photo (a black and white photograph), the color space is Adobe RGB and the black ink is Photo.

In order to obtain a good overall tone rendering, I have moved from their default settings the brightness, contrast and black correction sliders. The same choosen settings work nicely across the set of b&w photos that I'm trying.

I have then returned those settings (brightness, contrast and black correction) to their default values and I have added to TP a printer icc profile. I obtained the icc file from a Mac OS computer into which I installed the set of profiles provided through Epson's web site. The actual profile file is 'SPR2400 PremiumLuster.icc'.

Using TP plus the Epson's profile file the printed output has a yellowish cast that completely spoils the result. The overall tonal gradiation (contrast) is right, though.

Isn't it that an icc profile is supposed to be independent of the process? Why is that the Epson profile works so far away from correct through TP?

I'm assuming that Epson produced the profile under optimal conditions, that the profile must be 'good'. What are the changes to improve by profiling myself (with an spectrometer or mail service)?

thanks,
Rodrigo

distro: ubuntu 12.10
tp: demo version, 2.30-1
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: using Epson's profile on an R2400 printer

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

PrintFab can use any ICC profiles, however profiles from paper manufacturers are designed for use with the original manufacturer printer drivers. Different printer drivers have different color output, depending on the dithering algorithm, linearisation, use of light (photo) inks vs. regular inks, black generation etc.

This should not be a big disadvantage as you can have your personal color profiles created by our color profiling service at costs of only EUR 14,95. To get the best color reproduction possible with any paper and ink combination, print a color chart from TurboPrint Control Center, mail it to our profiling service and receive the individual profile via email.