Orange dot with white line, what???

Questions on certain printers and applications
DonEBray

Orange dot with white line, what???

Post by DonEBray »

I am new to Ubuntu and Turboprint and am unable to get a printed page from my Canon iP4200. It works fine with the Mac on the other machine. When I first installed Ubuntu the canon printer printed one page, but nothing since. It builds a backlog. I am curious if the orange dot with the white line through it at the lower right of the printer is indicative of an error message.

Should also mention that I am connected via Airport Express, which is working fine.

Thanks in advance,

Don Bray
DonEBray

Re: Orange dot with white line, what???

Post by DonEBray »

Think that the orange dot simply means that the printer is busy, which would indicate that it has not received a "end of print" message.
Now, the question is, how do I fix that and get the printer to restart?

Thanks,

Don Bray
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

do you mean that the orange LED on the printer flashes, but nothing is printed? It seams that data transmission to the printer is blocked.

Can you please try the following:

1. Make sure that the "TP-USB" Backend has been chosen in TurboPrint Control Center. Open TurboPrint Control and check if the column "URI" starts with "tpu..." and not with "usb...". If it starts with "usb...", click on "Edit" and choose the port entry "Canon iP4200 ... TP-USB" and click on "OK" to save the configuration.

2. If you still have printing problems, try the following (only if you have some experiences with a text editor and altering system files as superuser):
Edit the file

/etc/turboprint/system.cfg

and add the line "USB_MODE=0". In case this line was already present (e.g. USB_MODE=1) just alter it.
DonEBray

Post by DonEBray »

Thanks for your response. Attached is a photo of my screen showing what I have. I have done some DOS editing in the past, and would do what you suggest, with caution, But, have done nothing as yet to fix the problem.

Your help will be appreciated.

Don
Attachments
IMG_3078A.jpg
IMG_3078A.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 7125 times
DonEBray

Post by DonEBray »

Attached is what I see. No "tpu" or usb on URI. Looks like dnssd://Canon/.....

I am using a MacBook Pro through a wireless with Ubuntu on one side and Mac still on the other. Mac prints fine with description William Bray's Airport Express Canon iP4200 ...

I will get into the text editing if necessary, but wiil need to be careful.

Thanks,

Don
Attachments
IMG_3082A.jpg
IMG_3082A.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 7116 times
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Where is the printer attached to - to your Linux PC, to your Mac, or to the Airport base (my description will only work if the printer is attached directly to your Linux PC)?
DonEBray

Post by DonEBray »

To the airport base.

Don
DonEBray

Post by DonEBray »

Let's say that this is solved, as much by "kicking the tires" as anything else. I looked over in the Networking area and there was discussion there indicating that networking itself was not an issue. Then, I printed files in the LibreOffice Writer, the photo, pdf and email files and was able to get them to print. Those were ones that I had trouble with before. Might have been some cleansing effect with time, but, for now, I am happy.

Thanks for responding.

Don Bray