Canon ip5200 Prints colors wrong

Questions on certain printers and applications
baba

Canon ip5200 Prints colors wrong

Post by baba »

I am trying both PCLOS and Linux Mint. Printing photos the colors are all washed out, too light. From windows they print OK. I tried printing from GIMP and PhotoPrint, same result. I am not expert at Linux at all. Is there some place to do adjustments?

I also have a feeling, don't know why, that although TurboPrint seems installed properly, another driver may be being used. The print quality looks a lot like it did before I installed Turboprint and I was using a canon driver from another canon printer.

I also tried uninstalling TP and installing the trial version, same results. Should the trial version print colors correctly?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

if the prints were made using TurboPrint, there should be some content in /var/log/turboprint_cups.log.

To get saturated colors, you may have to use a higher print quality. The default can be set using TurboPrint Config, in most applications you can set the print quality directly from the application's print dialog.

Note, however, that the trial version will add a TurboPrint logo to the page if you are using a higher print quality.
baba

Post by baba »

Something is wrong with my setup here.
I uninstalled Turboprint and reinstalled a new downloaded demo version. I did not enter my reg key yet. Using GIMP. Printed a photo, same result. Nothing is written to /turboprint_cups.log. Quality is set to super. It is supposed to print a TP logo, but doesn't. I tried this in two different linix distros I have installed.

I may be missing something, but I don't see in GIMP where it sets the print quality.
baba

Post by baba »

zedonet, hope you see this...
I went to a different computer which has TP 1.95 installed. I connected the same printer. Ran from same Linux, PCLOS with GIMP. Works perfectly. On that computer I installed TP from source.

I'm lost as to what is causing this. I have been playing with a lot of configurations on the computer with a problem to try to get the scanner and webcam to work. Maybe i messed something up.

I see the possibilities to try reinstalling Linux. I hate to start over, but this seems to be necessary.
baba

Post by baba »

Sorry for another post, I think I figured it out....some important info here.
I was trying to get TP working in two distributions PCLOS and Mint (based on Ubintu).

Maybe this is in the manual but I didn't see it...

In PCLOS, after you configure and setup TP you have to go back to the PCLOS printer setup and make sure you select "ip5200 turboprint" as a printer. It also figures out there is a ip5200 (without the turboprint). That is why it looked like PCLOS was not using the TP driver, it wasn't.

Now Mint is another problem. Going through the same process, in Mint config it does not find the ip5200 turboprint printer. I googled this and found a few threads that said the Feisty release of Ubuntu (7.04) does not allow the installation of third party printer drivers. I don't know how to be sure of this unless someone else wants to try it with Mint or Ubuntu

FYI.. Mint itself is really good. Apparently the underlying Ubuntu feisty has many problems. It also doesn't work with many scanners (Edgy was OK).