Canon Pro9500 b&w

Questions on certain printers and applications
imopen

Canon Pro9500 b&w

Post by imopen »

Hello,
I'm wondering if Turboprint is able to use ONLY the 3 b&w cartridges (NO colors one) of Canon Pro9500 when printing black and white photos.

I have a Pixma IP5200 and in gray scale mode this is possible (it uses only the black photo cartridge), does it work in the same way on Pro9500?

It's important a right question... The printer costs 700€... and I can't rollback to Windows.

Thank you :wink:
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

it is possible to print black&white photos using (almost) only black & gray ink:

Set color mode to "Gray Photo" in TurboPrint Control Center ("Configure" -> tab "Color").

A bit of Cyan / Magenta ink is be added for neutral gray - you can use the "Color/Grey Tone" sliders to adjust gray balance.
imopen

Post by imopen »

thank you, your answers are always double-quick :wink:

So, if I used the grayscale mode the printer won't use only black and gray cartridge but only the black? :?

I try to explain: I LOVE Turboprint grayscale mode (and NOT the grayscale photo mode) on IP5200. Why? Because it uses only black photo cartridge and when I print b&w photo I obtain photos without any kind of dominant. And in Windows this is impossible! The grayscale mode in Windows driver uses both black and colors cartridge and I obtain color with ugly dominants in every black and white photos :?

I wish that grayscale mode on Pro9500 would use only black and gray photo cartridges for the same reason. I would not have any kind of dominant. :)

Is it difficult to implement such modality? :?

p.s. to be clear: I don't have yet the Pro9500, I'm only asking because I would like to buy it. But if I wouldn't have the grayscale mode as asked I wouldn't buy it :wink:
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

yes, the "Gray Scale" mode uses only the black cartridge, not the grey cartridge.

The "Gray photo" mode for the Pro9500 driver is different from the iP5200 driver and should produce the desired results - prints that don't have a color cast and metamerism effects.