Canon PIXMA MX922 prints offset to CD DVD

Questions on certain printers and applications
kenj70

Canon PIXMA MX922 prints offset to CD DVD

Post by kenj70 »

KDE Neon 5.13 AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 gb ram, TurboPrint 2.45 demo

Using gLabels 3.4.1 and the normal CUPS + Gutenburg driver the label document is acknowledged by the MX922 but immediately goes back to waiting status. Never could get gLabels to work. This printer works fine on Windows 7 using the Acoustica CD Labeler and the Canon software. Downloaded/installed TurboPrint.

Using Calligra Words document per TurboPrint Manual section 14.3 CD/DVD printing a 12 x 12 cm cross-hairs document I was able print rather accurately onto a CD. Using gLabels I have a constant 60 mm vertical offset, printing too low on the disk. I have adjusted my TurboPrint CD/DVD custom template "Sizes" Offset "top" to various amounts including 6 cm and -6 cm. I have adjusted the gLabels template Layout y0 parameter to various amounts including 60 mm and -60 mm AND THE VERTICAL POSITION DOES NOT BUDGE!!

One other observation: Every time I try to print with gLabels the TurboPrint Printer Monitor Settings window indicates Page size = A4 unlike the Calligra page. I cannot figure out how to get that to say CD/DVD.

-=Ken=-
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Canon PIXMA MX922 prints offset to CD DVD

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

you can print on CD/DVD with either the page size setting "CD/DVD" (recommended for printing from the GIMP - see the TurboPrint manual for details) or "A4" (recommended for glabels).

The adjustment in TurboPrint Control works only for "CD/DVD", when using "A4" the application must care about masking out the CD shape and setting the CD position correctly.

The CD position is printer dependend, for the MX922 it is

CD center x = 2.6" / 66mm from left
CD center y = 4,7" /120mm from top

The following template for glabels might help, x0/y0 positions must be adjusted slightly:

http://www.turboprint.info/support/view ... f=4&t=1276
kenj70

Post by kenj70 »

Thank you for your reply. I have tried several different changes to my configuration with no success. I will try to document the changes I have made so far:

I modified my gLabels template to match the example you supplied. I now know where the Page size = A4 comes from - my gLabels templates do indeed say A4 for the Page size. After making a better CD test design (seen in the second picture) I realize my offset is really 30 mm and not the 60 mm I previously reported. This happens both on the default CD/DVD template and the new custom template I created.

For my next attempt I tried changing the custom page size as below:
TP2.png
TP2.png (56.63 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
In all cases that I've tried here is what I get:
TP1.png
TP1.png (65.23 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
Note: the CD label design was purposely made the way it looks so that the lettering would still appear on my test CD.

Finally, in desperation I set the TurboPrint custom page size Offset: top = 12.00 cm with the same result, and I set the glabels Layout y0 value to 120 mm with same result. None of these settings do anything!

-=Ken=-
kenj70

Post by kenj70 »

OK, I finally figured it out. I assumed that the Canon template supplied with gLabels was incorrect. So I continued using the template I created. When I went back to the gLabels supplied template for the various Canon "J" tray printers the registration on the disks was so close to perfect I didn't bother tweaking on it anymore. I even created a new template using the values from the supplied template and it worked perfectly.

Just for the record here is the Canon J tray template:
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<Glabels-templates>

<!-- =================================================================== -->
<!-- Type J CD/DVD Tray. -->
<!-- =================================================================== -->
<Template brand="Canon" part="Type J Tray" size="Other" width="135mm" height="295mm" _description="CD/DVD Tray">
<Label-cd id="0" radius="59mm" hole="11mm" waste="2mm">
<Markup-margin size="3.175mm"/>
<Layout nx="1" ny="1" x0="5.6mm" y0="58.5mm" dx="122mm" dy="122mm"/>
</Label-cd>
</Template>

<Template brand="Canon" part="MX920 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>
<Template brand="Canon" part="MG5400 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>
<Template brand="Canon" part="MG6300 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>
<Template brand="Canon" part="MG6500 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>
<Template brand="Canon" part="iP7200 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>

</Glabels-templates>
Thanks for a fine product,