[SOLVED] Attempting to add printer hangs X session

Other questions
caelia

[SOLVED] Attempting to add printer hangs X session

Post by caelia »

Hello! I am trying to use TurboPrint on Arch Linux (x86_64). I'm not sure it is installed correctly ... it's a long and probably irrelevant story, but a couple of years ago I was using a registered copy of TurboPrint 2.40 on a similar but not identical Linux system, with the same printer I'm trying to use now (Epson Artisan 1430). TurboPrint worked fine then, and I was able to produce excellent prints. I think I installed it on my current machine also, but I don't think I ever actually used this installation. In any case, TurboPrint has been installed on this system for some time, and the license key is present, though it has expired.

The problem I'm encountering is that when I try to add a printer using the "+" toolbar button on the TurboPrint Control Center app, it hangs my X session. I cannot then switch to any other window or do anything with the mouse. All I can do is switch out of the X session to a console (Ctrl+Fn) and reboot the system. I've downloaded and installed TurboPrint 2.45 on top of the existing installation, but that does not make any difference. I've tried the operation several times with both old and new versions, and the results are the same each time.

But even if my installation is incorrect and my license key has expired, the app should not cause the X session to hang under any circumstances, right? So ... any suggestions as to what might be wrong? How to troubleshoot/work around this issue?

UPDATE: Okay, a system upgrade solved the problem.