Pixma Pro10s, BW printing

gian

Pixma Pro10s, BW printing

Post by gian »

hello All,

I have no experience at BW printing, and would like to know if you have any recommendation on papers, settings or tweaks.

So far I tried an Epson Archival matte paper, with gloss optimizer off, and setting for Canon matte, with good result.

The same picture on Epson Premium Glossy paper looked horrible, with a light bronzing effect.

What is your favorite paper for BW?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Pixma Pro10s, BW printing

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

you can use any matte or matte fineart paper (smooth fineart, canvas) with good result.
Prints on glossy photo paper will show some bronzing effect.

Prints on semi-glossy, satin or luster paper will have the same high contrast as glossy paper but less bronzing - I recommend to try Canon Luster Paper Pro (LU-101).

One question: in which way was your print on Epson Premium Glossy "horrible" - just the bronzing or also other problems?
gian

Post by gian »

in which way was your print on Epson Premium Glossy "horrible" - just the bronzing or also other problems?
Probably it is just the bronzing that gave a strange, unnatural cast on the image, although it was very evident only with incident light.

I set:
Media: Fineart Matte
Cartridge: Glossoptimzer off
Print Quality: 5-9600 dpi
Color Mode: Gray photo
RGB: Apple bright

Does it sound correct?

Thanks for your support,

-Gian
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Yes, this is correct for matte paper.
BarrieGrieve

Post by BarrieGrieve »

Probably a little late to comment but I have had some scary results on a Pro-1 with Canson Infinity papers especially Velin Museum Rag, so with careful editing you should get a damn close tonal range from the Pro-10.