No PrintFab drivers available in Printer Setup Utility

Questions on installation
clivew

No PrintFab drivers available in Printer Setup Utility

Post by clivew »

I've installed a trial version of PrintFab 2 on my old G4 PowerBook running OS X Tiger 10.4.11 to see if I can print to an EPSON XP-442 network printer, for which there are no native PPC Tiger drivers but which is supposed to be supported by PrintFab.
As it's a network printer I'm installing through the Printer Setup Utility and, looking at the PrintFab User Guide, I was expecting to see a load of new 'PrintFab' drivers appear in the driver list but they're not there! NO extra drivers appear to have been installed for any type of printer so I don't see any point in having PrintFab installed. I've tried reinstalling with no success. Am I missing something obvious?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: No PrintFab drivers available in Printer Setup Utility

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I just checked PrintFab network printer installation on OS X 10.4 and can confirm this - the PrintFab drivers are not visible in "Printer Setup Utility".

After installation of PrintFab, the PPD files for printfab printer drivers (filenames starting with "pf_") should be visible in the directory

/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources

OS X 10.4 expects the PPD files in the sudirectory

/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj

You can move the required PPD files to this subdirectory using the Finder - then you will be able to install your network printer with Printer Setup Utility:

Print Using: EPSON PrintFab
Model: Epson_XP440series PrintFab