Using Aperture and Snow leopard to create profile

Questions on installation
thearne3

Using Aperture and Snow leopard to create profile

Post by thearne3 »

Hi,

I am struggling to find a way to turn off color management in Aperture, primarily so that I can print a color profile. I am using a Canon MP830 and the Printfab driver. The Print Settings dialog has no 'Color Management' tab that I can find (on either the Printfab or the regular Canon Driver).

Also, in the meantime, what color profile is recommended? I print both B&W and color. The only B&W profile I see is Graytone. Is that recommended? What should I use for color? One of the Generics? (CMYK, XYZ).

The instructions seem to be oriented to CS...

Best,
Tom
thearne3

Post by thearne3 »

OK,

Part A of my post I think I have solved: to create a profile select the Printfab Driver/Print Settings/Printfab Settings/Color/No Color Management - Right?

Question: If I don't have a color profile listed in Printfab Toolbox/Manage Color Profiles, then what profile is being used by the Printfab Driver? What effect (if any) does specifying a Colorsync Profile in the Aperture Print Screen have when using the Printfab driver? ... OR should Colorsync Profile be set to System Managed when using the Printfab Driver?

Thanks for any clarification!

Tom
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

please excuse the delay (I had to make some tests with Aperture first).

You should not use Aperture to print profile targets as you cannot turn off color management in Aperture's print dialog.

I assume that you want to create an RGB profile. In Aperture's setting "ColorSync Profile" you cannot choose any RGB profiles, so "System Managed" is the only reasonable choice.

However, unless your image is tagged with the Apple specific profile "Generic RGB", Aperture will do some kind of color management with it, thus modifying RGB values before sending the job to the printer driver.

I recommend to use Photoshop for printing the profile target and turn off color management in the print dialog - however you can also use OS X Preview and set "Color Matching" to "In Printer" in the print dialog.
thearne3

Aperture color management - never 'off'?

Post by thearne3 »

Hi -

Thanks for your reply. I'm confused. In Aperture, when using System Managed, doesn't Aperture transfer all color management to the Printer Driver specified? If so, then the Part A approach (using Printfab driver, No Color Management) should work. Your reply seems to imply that a Generic RGB icc profile must be specified - why?

As I understand it, if you specify an icc file instead of 'System Management', then Color Management has to be turned off in the Printer Driver (otherwise you have both operating and a dark/poor print). Strangely, Canon's driver for the MP830 has no way to turn color management off.

Tom