Creating ICC profiles with ColorMunki / EyeOne / Spyder Print

New section - illustrated instructions
lajoiephoto

Creating ICC profiles with ColorMunki / EyeOne / Spyder Print

Post by lajoiephoto »

I’m exhausted and going broke trying to get PrintFab prints to match my Eizo screen images. I’ve tried creating profiles using my SpyderPrint software. I running a Pro-10 using OS 10.14 Mojave. I shoot and edit in Adobe RGB (1998). I’ve followed the directions for using no correction, printing out charts,scanning, etc. All my prints out of PrintFab come out super saturated whether I’m printing out of Photoshop, Lightroom, or Preview using the profiles I’ve created. I know they’re not as good as the profiles from Zedonet, but I was hoping that they’d be closer than they are. What corrections relative to saturation would be the best to try?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Super saturated colors

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I include a short description of the profiling workflow - please check if you followed these steps. A common error is to enable the color profile in the application (Lightroom / Photoshop) and in PrintFab - see point 1) and 2) of the description below for details.

------

Creating ICC profiles for PrintFab/Mac

To create an ICC profile e.g. with EyeOne, ColorMunki or Spyder, you must create a new profile entry in PrintFab Toolbox -> "Open toolbox for selected printer" -> "Manage color profiles" -> "Printer Profiles".
You will have to select the type of media (e.g. coated inkjet paper or glossy photo paper), the print quality and the maximum ink amount (250% is the default).

printfab-mac-profiling-1.png
printfab-mac-profiling-1.png (84.68 KiB) Viewed 4480 times

The new profile will be visible as an additional paper type in the print dialog. Use this paper entry to print the profile chart - color management will be automatically turned off (until you execute "import profile data").

Printing the profile color chart

Most profiling applications support RGB and CMYK profiles. We recommend to start with an RGB profile as this is easier to handle.
The profile target chart can be printed in Photoshop, in the tool "Adobe Color Print Utility" (RGB charts only) and also in the profiling software if it offers this option (i1Profiler can print directly to PrintFab). We use Photoshop in this description.
Color management must be disabled in Photoshop - this can be done by assigning a profile to the chart (e.g. sRGB), in the print dialog select "Photoshop determines colors" and select the assigned document profile as printer profile.

printfab-mac-profiling-3.png
printfab-mac-profiling-3.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 4480 times

PrintFab driver settings:

tab "Main": "Media type"=<the media entry that you just added>
tab "Color": "Intent"="No correction", "Mode"="RGB" or "CMYK" depending on the ICC profile type

printfab-mac-profiling-2.png
printfab-mac-profiling-2.png (93.82 KiB) Viewed 4480 times

The resulting ICC profile can be used either in PrintFab (recommended) or in Photoshop:

1) color management in PrintFab

- import the ICC profile in the "Profiles" dialog of PrintFab Toolbox

- in the Photoshop print dialog, select "Photoshop Manages Colors". As "Printer Profile" choose the document profile (in earlier versions of Photoshop, you can choose "No color management" instead).

- in the PrintFab driver settings, also choose the document profile

2) color management in PhotoShop

- add the ICC profile to the OS X color profiles folder

- in the Photoshop print dialog, select "PhotoShop manages colors" and "Printer profile"=<the icc profile you created>

- in the PrintFab driver settings, use the same settings as when printing
the ICC profile chart:
tab "Main": "Media type"=<the media entry you used to print the ICC profile chart>
tab "Color": "Intent"="No correction", "Mode"="RGB" or "CMYK" depending on the ICC profile type

Some PrintFab settings like the "ink save mode" can be chosen only when color management is done in PrintFab.
lajoiephoto

Post by lajoiephoto »

So, the settings in Photoshop will be the same whether I’m letting Photoshop or PrintFab manage. That is, the .icc profile I created will be set in both PS and PrintFab. If I set the intent in PrintFab to “no correction”, PS is managing. If I set intent to anything else in PrintFab, PrintFab is managing? Must the intents (relative, perceptual) match if PrintFab is managing?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

If you want PrintFab to manage colors, you must disable color management in Photoshop. Adobe has removed the option "No Color Management", but you can do the same by selecting

- Color Handling = "Photoshop manages colors"
- Printer Profile = <Document Profile> (e.g. sRGB)

Photoshop will complain ("No Color Management not supported") but you can print anyway.
"Rendering intent" and "black point compensation" are irrelevant in this case, because there is no color management.

Your description of color management in Photoshop is correct.

photoshop-printdialog.png
photoshop-printdialog.png (57.3 KiB) Viewed 7729 times
lajoiephoto

Post by lajoiephoto »

Thanks so much. This forum is a great selling point for Zedonet. Had you shared that screen shot in your instructions, I wouldn’t have wasted your time nor tested your patience. I’m grateful.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The manual contained an older screenshot + description for Photoshop, an updated version of the manual is now on our website and also in the current download package.