Improving Shadow Details

New section - illustrated instructions
sdumbliauskas

Improving Shadow Details

Post by sdumbliauskas »

Hi guys,

How you deal with dark areas? I have a problem that details in dark areas (shadows) simply disappears and prints flat black color. Check out this image
shadow-details-problem.JPG
shadow-details-problem.JPG (85.48 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
My print conditions:
Printer - Epson P800
Original Epson inks
Color mode - SRGB
Rendering Intent - Saturation (because I have very dark unnatural shadows in other modes )
Black point compensation - ON
Use Ghostscript as interpreter - ON

All other settings left default.

Best regards
Saulius
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Problem with shadow details

Post by zedonet »

Hello Saulius,

to enhance contrasts in dark areas, the "shadows" slider would be the best instrument.

shadow-details-asdjustment.PNG
shadow-details-asdjustment.PNG (61.79 KiB) Viewed 3832 times

For printing photos, we always recommend the "perception" intents, "saturation" is more suited for charts and graphs to achieve more vibrant colors. The mentioned unnatural dark shadows could be a problem with the paper if the ink amount is too high for it and bleeding occurs. What paper are you using? Did you print on photo paper?
sdumbliauskas

Re: Problem with shadow details

Post by sdumbliauskas »

Hello Zedonet,

Thank you for your message.
I print on Somerset Enhanced pure cotton inkjet paper with custom icc profile made for this paper.
I tried perception intents, shadows looks better, but details in dark areas looks almost the same because I have to rise contrast to 130% to get good picture.
I tried to play with "shadows" settings and raised to 140% but no difference in shadow detail.

Thank you!
Wish you Happy Holidays!