Installing TP 2 Disables Login to Kubuntu 7.10

Questions on Installation
luggw1

Installing TP 2 Disables Login to Kubuntu 7.10

Post by luggw1 »

I'm running Kubuntu 7.10 on an AMD 64-bit machine (kernel version 2.6.22-16) and have been using TP 1.96 for some time without problems. yesterday, I upgraded to TP 2.06 (64-bit version, matching my architecture) and restarted my machine.

Everything seemed fine until I attempted to log in. I entered my password, but the screen just went dark for a moment (which it always does) and then returned to the login dialog (which it never does). No splash screen showing the loading or initializing of modules, no error messages...nothing.

I restarted in recovery mode and used apt to remove TP and was able to log in again, so clearly, TP is the culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and how can I go about fixing it? Right now I'm without my color printer and I really need it. :cry:

Thanks for the help.
Bill Lugg
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

please install TurboPrint and then remove the script

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/95turboprint_monitor

This script performs some initializations:

- create communication pipes from the printer driver to TurboPrint Monitor
- make sure that TurboPrint Monitor is started in the background
- create TurboPrint desktop icons for new users

Probably the script exists with an error so the login doesn't work.
If you can find out at which step the script fails, please let me know.
luggw1

Post by luggw1 »

OK, instead of removing the file, I moved it to my home directory so I could troubleshoot it after installing. I restarted after installing and moving this file and the login was in fact successful.

I then ran the script from my home directory as myself (not root) using the command:

Code: Select all

sh -x ./95turboprint_monitor
The only error reported was at the line

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/.turboprint
It complained that it couldn't create the directory because it already exists, which is true - this is an upgrade from 1.96.

Would that have been enough to cause the problem that I described in the original post?

HTH
Bill Lugg
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

normally the script should warn but should not exit with an error - you can try to uncomment (add a # in front of) the line and move the script back to

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/