Turboprint Gimp Plugin conflicts with Gutenprint Plugin

Questions on Installation
broadstairs

Turboprint Gimp Plugin conflicts with Gutenprint Plugin

Post by broadstairs »

I have been having issues trying to print to my dyesub CP900 using the Gutenprint Plugin for Gimp where although all settings were correct for my CP900 the output ended up on the Turboprint queue for my Canon iP7250.

Having removed Turboprint from my system the Gutenprint Plugin now works correctly and sends the output to the CP900 queue as it should.

Can you please investigate this and let me know why this is happening? I am running on openSUSE Tumbleweed with Gutenprint 5.2.14-pre2.

Stuart
broadstairs

Re: Turboprint Gimp Plugin conflicts with Gutenprint Plugin

Post by broadstairs »

Just realised I had reported this some time ago on a different distro. This is a big issue especially as you do not support dyesub printers, as you said before they should not interfere with each other but I can assure you that they do. If I uninstall TP the gutenprint plugin works but as soon as I re-install it the gutenprint plugin fails again.

Stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

In my previous thread about this you suggested removing the TPU from cups backend and restarting cups to see if it fixed the problem. No it does not. I have also tried removing the TP gimp plugin but that does not fix it either. The only way I have found to solve this issue is to uninstall TP completely. This gives me a big issue as I need to be able to print to both my iP7250 using TO and CP900 using gutenprint/cups.

Please test this and let me know what you find. You should be able to set up a CP900 in cups without actually having the physical printer and the see which queue the output ends up in.

stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

I've just been doing some more testing. I removed TP and all printers then installed the CP900 in CUPS and used the gutenprint gimp plugin to print just fine. I then re-installed TP and immediately the output from the gutenprint gimp plugin was sent to my iP7250 incorrectly.

So I am now at a complete loss to know how to allow me to have TP installed and still print to the CP900 using CUPS.

Stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Just been doing some checking and I notice that you know support the Canon CP910 with the latest version. Will this also work with the CP900? Also does this support a wireless connection and if so how does it have to be setup?

Stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Ignoring the CP900 bit, can I have an update on your thoughts on the original issue of TP and Gutenprint GIMP plugin conflicting please. This is a continuing issue as you do not support the CP900 and I am unable to print from GIMP to my CP900 unless I uninstall TP.

Stuart
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

sorry, I was not aware that there is a conflict and I am a bit confused what you mean by "Gutenprint GIMP plugin" - the regular GIMP print dialog or something different that you installed for the Canon SELPHY CP900 printer. Can you send a screenshot of the print dialog?
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

OK so when I open the file menu in GIMP I am presented with 3 printing options, first is Print or Ctrl-P, Second is Prinet with Gutenprint and third is Turboprint. I have attached two images one of the Gutenprint plugin and the second is the TP one. The Gutenprint plugin is a separate package to install which on my openSUSE system is called gutenprint-gimpplugin.

Stuart
Gutenprint.png
Gutenprint.png (131.56 KiB) Viewed 16778 times
Gutenprint.png
Gutenprint.png (131.56 KiB) Viewed 16778 times
Attachments
Turboprint.png
Turboprint.png (145.86 KiB) Viewed 16778 times
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Sorry but it appears to have added two copies of the Gutenprint plugin and the third image is the TP one.

Stuart
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I tried to recreate this problem but printing worked properly on my system with both the TurboPrint and Gutenprint GIMP plugins installed (the printer was a Canon SELPHY CP1300), so I have no simple solution for now.

You could try to remove the TurboPrint GIMP plugin, e.g. from a Terminal command line:

sudo rm /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gpturboprint

(your login password will be requested).

When setting up the SELPHY CP900 printer in the Gutenprint GIMP plugin, make sure that you don't select the TurboPrint print queue (if you have created one - the name usually ends on "...TurboPrint" e.g. "CP900-TurboPrint") to prevent any conflicts.
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Just tried your suggestion but my GIMP is installed in lib64 not lib, dont know if that makes a difference to your plugin. Anyway removing it from the lib64 directory tree makes no difference, print still goes to the TP ip7250 queue despite ensuring the CP900 is selected. What I will do in the next day or so is to test by removing both gimp and tp completely, the re-install gimp and test, if that works I'll re-install TP and test again.

Stuart
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

OK so now having deleted everything relevant and then re-installing everything and setting up from scratch now both plugins work fine. Something in the past must have gone awry and now having done a clean install/setup it works as it should.

Stuart