Cannot print to Canon Selphy CP1300

Questions on certain printers and applications
Walt9z

Cannot print to Canon Selphy CP1300

Post by Walt9z »

I'm on Ubuntu 18.10 using TurboPrint 2.46-1.

When I try to print to the Selphy, TurboPrint says "Printer not connected or switched off" and "Print job canceled at printer". On the Selphy, it says "Cannot read data! Cannot print incompatible images or memory card not readable".

I'm printing a plain old jpg straight from my camera.

Any ideas?
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Cannot print to Canon Selphy CP1300

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

TurboPrint supports printing to the Canon Selphy CP1300 printer only via USB connection, not via WLAN.

How is the printer connected?
Walt9z

Post by Walt9z »

Oh. LAN. I'll use USB. Thanks.
Rob. S.

Post by Rob. S. »

Hello,

I ran into the same problem today, after WiFi was one of the reasons for buying the device in the first place. Is there any chance to see WiFi support for this printer at some point in time? After all, when connected, it is recognized by TurboPrint, and when trying to print there is a connection, and some data is transferred, too – just not properly, as it seems...

Cheers,
Robert
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hi Walt9z,

connecting to the printer via the available Linux network protocol works but the printer does not accept/print anything then. Unfortunately in network mode the SELPHY printers do not accept raw printer commands but need the image file to be transferred using a special interactive protocol that is probably not supported under Linux (the existing network protocols BJNP / Socket / LPR do not work). And only in USB mode the printer dots can be controlled directly by the driver, in WLAN mode the rastering and color management would be completely performed by the printer.
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

The entire point of having these printers is to be able to print wirelessly, which works fine using Canon apps on a phone. I have (somewhere) some code which allows printing wirelessly from linux to my CP900, whether it would work with a CP1300 I don't know. I seriously think the wireless capability should be investigated further as USB is not really the way most people want to use these printers.

Stuart
Rob. S.

Post by Rob. S. »

broadstairs wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:11 amI seriously think the wireless capability should be investigated further as USB is not really the way most people want to use these printers
True...

Right, it might be harder to reliably support because it's a proprietary, secret protocol (I feared as much as soon I tried to let Windows, too, set up a printer connection for the CP1300's IP address, but Windows couldn't make anything of it), and as it is proprietary, even if some of the work has already been done somewhere else, it might even change any time if the manufacturer wants to do so. (It will be a safe guess, though, that Canon, whatever they might change in the future, will want to keep it compatible to their own hard- and software).
zedonet wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 amin WLAN mode the rastering and color management would be completely performed by the printer
I see. Although it can be problematic for some applications, for typical postcard-size image printing it might not matter.

Personally, I use my printers in Linux and in Windows, the latter in a virtual machine. I have not yet found a Linux RAW converter to replace the one I use in Windows, and most of the time I print with that RAW converter, from within Windows. But now it seems that the new CP1300 printer offers no printing options whatsoever in Windows and prints come out too dark and with too cold colours, I decided to develop the images to JPEG before printing and then print them from Linux with TurboPrint, which gives me the results I wanted...

So I'd probably be printing through USB whenever I can, but still there might be situations in which I'd rather want to print through WiFi.

Cheers,
Robert
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Thought I'd bring this up again since I now have a CP1300. I must point out that Gutenprint supports this printer in Linux either driverless or as an IPP printer (both wirelessly) so why cant Turboprint support it?

Stuart