Broken installation process

Questions on Installation
andersl

Broken installation process

Post by andersl »

Hi,

I can not install as a user. My system is configured with sudo, and I can do everything else with sudo, but the turboprint installation fails after entering my password.

I can install using "sudo ./setup".

I can not add printer profiles or select my key as a user. Turboprint again fails silently, or actually wrongly claims succes.

After installation, there is no tpdaemon.service available to systemctl. Shouldn't there be one?

Kindly,
Anders
andersl

Re: Broken installation process

Post by andersl »

I have the problem that the daemon is not running, I believe, since the monitor tells me that the printer is not connected or not running - but i gladly prints away.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

a workaround for your problem is to start TurboPrint Control from a Terminal window with the command

sudo turboprint

Of course we would like to fix this problem.
What is your Linux distribution & version?
andersl

Post by andersl »

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

I'm using archlinux, it is rolling release and up to date. The daemon runs on my other laptop, but I can't remember if I created a systemctl service manually, and it was an earlier version I installed on that one originally (2.45 iirc). I have the same problems with color profiles on the other laptop.

Is there a way I can configure it to use sudo? For now, I run turboprint under kdesu to get to create color profiles.

Kindly,
Anders
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I could confirm the problem on archlinux and we are working on a solution.
andersl

Post by andersl »

Nice! There is a community package in https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/turboprint, but I did not try it.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

If found that a security mechanism has been recently added or enabled in ArchLinux that prevents communication between the user application "TurboPrint Control" and a TurboPrint background application that is started as "root" that actually updates the printer settings.

You can open a Terminal window and enter the command

sudo sysctl fs.protected_regular=0

to make TurboPrint Control work without "sudo" (the current default value in ArchLiux is "fs.protected_regular=1").

However, we are working on a solution for the next TurboPrint release.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

A new TurboPrint version 2.48-2 has just been released that fixes the problem with ArchLinux - please download and update your current TurboPrint version.
alex666

Post by alex666 »

... but no working daemon in Manjaro ...
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello alex666, thank you for this information and please excuse the delay. I could reproduce the problem and we will fix this in the next TurboPrint release. The TurboPrint Daemon currently doesn't start because it depends on the cups printing system daemon that has a different name under Manjaro Linux.

You can do the following to get it going:

1. edit the file /usr/share/turboprint/lib/tpdaemon.service and change the line "After=cups.service" to "After=org.cups.cupsd.service":

Code: Select all

[Unit]
Description=Turboprint Monitor Daemon
After=org.cups.cupsd.service
then execute the following commands in a Terminal window

Code: Select all

install --mode=644 /usr/share/turboprint/lib/tpdaemon.service /etc/systemd/system
install --mode=644 /usr/share/turboprint/lib/turboprint.user.service /etc/systemd/user
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable tpdaemon.service
systemctl --global enable turboprint.user.service