[SOLVED] How do I specify image color space?

Other questions
fortiernor

[SOLVED] How do I specify image color space?

Post by fortiernor »

Hi,

I want to print a jpeg image found on the web that has an embedded icc profile (Adobe RGB (1998)). I wonder how to tell turboprint that the image uses that profile.

I print using the tp gimp plugin; usually I print my own pictures, with an embedded profile ProPhoto (exported from Rawtherapee or Darktable). I then select "ProPhoto" for "Espace couleur RVB" (RGB color space) in the tp plugin. However that drop-down list only offers sRGB (défaut), AppleRGB (clair), [CIE RGB], [NTSC 1953], [PAL-SECAM], [SMPTE-C], [Wide RGB] and ProPhoto, not Adobe RGB.

I tried adding the Adobe RGB color space in the turboprint config, but even after restarting the computer it does not show up in the plugin color space list.

What should I do?

Normand Fortier
Last edited by fortiernor on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: How do I specify image color space?

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

this is strange - if you successfully added the color space "ProPhoto RGB", adding "Adobe RGB" should work just as well.
Can you please check if the profiles are visible in TurboPrint Control

turboprint control - color spaces.png
turboprint control - color spaces.png (88.16 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
gimp - turboprint plugin.png
gimp - turboprint plugin.png (89.59 KiB) Viewed 6973 times

If you can see "Adobe RGB" in TurboPrint Control but not in GIMP, please open a Terminal window and enter

sudo tpsetup --update

(your login password will be requested). This will update the TurboPrint PPD files, then "Adobe RGB" should also be visible in the GIMP TurboPrint plugin. Please let me know if this helps.
fortiernor

Post by fortiernor »

Thank you! What happens is that I can add the new color space using the config application, but if I close it and reopen it, the new color space is not there. So the problem happens before even opening the plugin. tpsetup --update does not help.
This is TP 2.46-1 on Archlinux.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

It sounds like a problem with authorization that happens on newer Archlinux systems in combination with older TurboPrint versions. TurboPrint 2.48-2 has adaptions for this. You can try to start your TurboPrint Control from shell with admin rights: "sudo turboprint" - the color space is probably added successfully then.
fortiernor

Post by fortiernor »

Indeed. Adding the color space to turboprint config application having started the latter as root solves the problem -- the new color space is now accessible from turboprint config (started as regular user) and from the gimp plugin.

Thank you very much for your quick response!

Normand