[SOLVED} Can print a test page but a text file prints blank

Questions on certain printers and applications
PixmaG2510

[SOLVED} Can print a test page but a text file prints blank

Post by PixmaG2510 »

turboPrint 2.54-1 (13th Feb 2023) License type TurboPrint Pro, license number verified.

Linux Mint xfce Victoria 21.3

Canon Pixma G2510 printer running as a network printer (attached to a Wifi mesh repeater by usb cable)

I'm currently getting blank pages when printing a text file (eg: from LibreOffice Writer) - If I start the Toolbox and ask for a test page, that prints perfectly with colour and black text.
The troubelshooting file says " To submit a trouble report, fill in the form “BUGREPORT” which is contained in the TurboPrint installation archive and send it by email to bug @ turboprint.de." but having looked at both files, I don't understand half the questions.

I tried attaching log files to this post but it wouldn't accept them.
The turboprint.log file is blank (just like the printout)
The cups log file has several mentions of errors in it relating to version problems..
The print.log I don't understand.

In addition, even when it is working, the turboPrint Monitor always tells me the printer is "not connected or switched off".

I just repeated the print job but using the Linux Mint "confugure Printer" app, to let Linux discover the printer as a network printer without using TurtboPrint, inserting the network location and the model of the printer, and the job printed fine so the printer itself is working.

While I work out how to submit a bug report, any advice welcome.

Also my license says free updates till 20th August 2025 but when I try and get an "update" choosing the 6mths option at zero Euros then recalculate, the the web page quotes a price of £29.95 - so I don't understand that either.

Many thanks.

System:
Kernel: 5.15.0-102-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.18.1
tk: Gtk 3.24.33 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm 4.18.0 vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: B450M-A PRO MAX (MS-7C52) v: 1.0
serial: <superuser required> BIOS: American Megatrends LLC. v: 3.L0 date: 10/25/2023
CPU:
Info: 6-core model: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G with Radeon Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP
smt: enabled arch: Zen 2 rev: 1 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 3 MiB L3: 8 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 1494 high: 2646 min/max: 1400/3700 boost: enabled cores: 1: 1397 2: 1397
3: 1397 4: 1397 5: 1373 6: 1353 7: 1397 8: 1397 9: 1397 10: 2646 11: 1388 12: 1397
bogomips: 88634
Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
Last edited by PixmaG2510 on Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Can print a test page but a text file prints blank

Post by zedonet »

Hello, it is difficult to tell why you get a blank page. The logfile /var/log/turboprint/print.log would be helpful - if it is not empty, please send it by email to mail (at) zedonet (dot) com and refer to this forum post. Can you print from other applications, e.g. from the image or PDF viewer?

About the other problems / questions:

You can print via a router that offers USB printing. However, the connection via a router is unidirectional, so you do not get ink status / printer status and TurboPrint Monitor will report that the printer is "not connected or switched off".

You can download updates from turboprint.info -> link "Download" while you have free updates. There is no automatic update function, you can simply install the newer version without uninstalling first. The license should remain active, if TurboPrint asks for a license key you can use your existing key file. Only after your free updates have ended, you need to go to our online shop.
PixmaG2510

Re: Can print a test page but a text file prints blank

Post by PixmaG2510 »

zedonet wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:00 am Hello, it is difficult to tell why you get a blank page. The logfile /var/log/turboprint/print.log would be helpful - if it is not empty, please send it by email to mail (at) zedonet (dot) com and refer to this forum post. Can you print from other applications, e.g. from the image or PDF viewer?

About the other problems / questions:

You can print via a router that offers USB printing. However, the connection via a router is unidirectional, so you do not get ink status / printer status and TurboPrint Monitor will report that the printer is "not connected or switched off".

You can download updates from turboprint.info -> link "Download" while you have free updates. There is no automatic update function, you can simply install the newer version without uninstalling first. The license should remain active, if TurboPrint asks for a license key you can use your existing key file. Only after your free updates have ended, you need to go to our online shop.
thank you. I have updated the program but the problem persists.
I understand the response about usb connections via a router.

I have forwarded logs by email but unfortunately turboprint.log is empty.

The problem is confined to printing text. in either Linux Text Editor or LibreOffice writer. I can print graphics fine.
It prints bmp and txt files. (Linux Xviewer 3.44)
It prints the graphics from a web page but not the graphics (firefox browser)
When using a Linux Mint laptop without TurboPrint, on the same printer and network, the printer can print text fine using only Linux drivers.

I've tried direct usb connection of the printer to the desktop PC instead of via the network, and the problem persists.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer,
I installed the printer as a Network Printer Socket/Jet Direct using 192.168.178.31:9100, and test connection was successful.
The TestPage and Status sheet consists only of the colour bars - the text didn't print.
Printing the turboPrint Testpage A4 "DemoPage A4 size" prints exactly as in the diagram/preview including what appears to be text in courier, helvetica and times 12pt at the bottom of the sheet.

Using the Linux Printers app, and Printer Properties/Test Page, the text in the lower half of the test page does not print.

Thank you for your support so far.
PixmaG2510

Re: [SOLVED} Can print a test page but a text file prints blank

Post by PixmaG2510 »

My apologies - the problem was solved by a "deep clean" of the black ink print head. :oops:
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED} Can print a test page but a text file prints blank

Post by zedonet »

Thank you for the solution :)