[SOLVED]Trouble with Canon PIXMA iP90 after os reinstall

Questions on Installation
tarazed

[SOLVED]Trouble with Canon PIXMA iP90 after os reinstall

Post by tarazed »

I have been running Turboprint 2.12-1 on a Toshiba Equium i586 under Mandriva 2009 for a couple of years to drive a Canon iP90. No problem.
This is used to help with running a club so problems would be embarrassing. Having recently installed Mageia 2 on the laptop I had to reinstall the printer. This has been a total disaster.
My first attempt was with tpsetup - no printer detected so I had to try to guess the URI but messed it up. Tried CUPS but no driver for it so I handpicked one from TP.
(The list offered for local printers was parallel ports 1 and 2 and Other - different from what the documentation suggests.) That sort of worked but printing was incredibly slow; the monitor kept on flashing a warning triangle and posted a message that the printer was either off or disconnected (!). As far as I can recall, CUPS reported

Code: Select all

queue ip90, Local Printer, URI usb://Canon/iP90?serial=107B08, Driver Canon_PIXMA_iP90
I tried again, installing via TP with similar results after I tried URI tusb://Canon/iP90. In fact I tried several more times with either CUPS or TP and succeeded in removing the warning message and getting the rendering to run fast, but no printer output. I had set up A5 for the page format but every time I checked what CUPS thought it was it showed A4. Resetting the defaults did not stick. After a warm reboot I plugged in the printer and Mageia tried to install it and reported no driver found. Back into TP monitor to see this:

Connection other (CUPS URI), URI file:///dev/null
Looks like my URI is being overridden with the bit bucket, Could be CUPS or something else in Mageia. No idea where to go from here. Confused by the interaction between CUPS and TP.

I had tried to print using the lp and lpr commands and both ran without errors but as reported, no output.

lpr -Pip90 ticket.ps
lp -d ip90 ticket.ps
Last edited by tarazed on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarazed

Re: Trouble with Canon PIXMA iP90 after os reinstall

Post by tarazed »

Stefan at Zedonet has pointed out that the trouble with version 2.12-1 was caused by Mageia's use of libusb1.0. The tpu backend was unable to see the printer on a USB connection. Problem solved by upgrading to Turboprint 2.25-2. After that it was a matter of a couple of minutes to a fully working printer.

Long live Zedonet!

Len