Turboprint hanging on opensuse 42.1

Linux distribution specific questions
cmcgrath5035

Turboprint hanging on opensuse 42.1

Post by cmcgrath5035 »

I have been running Turboprint on various OPENSUSE distributions for quite a while to print to Canon Pro9000.
Recently, issues began - random hangs of the printer which can only be cleared with brute force power cycle, even the power button is hung, flashing.

I upgraded to TurboPrintPro 2.40-1 in hopes it would resolve issue (was 2.35 I believe) but no fix.
tpdaemon is running
License key file seems properly installed.
When sending a print job from application, Preview Window pops up as expected.
As print job proceeds, seems 5 to 6% of data transfers then printing hangs.
Printer does grab a sheet of paper and start, printing a few lines then hard lockup.

Feels like a USB driver issue, but not sure where to go next or what info would be helpful

Also -
See attachment - why the "License not valid" message here?

N.B. - I also have a Win10 VirtualBox VM on same Linux machine. The Win10 Canon driver works OK
Attachments
TurboPrint Printer Monitor.png
TurboPrint Printer Monitor.png (33.51 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: Turboprint hanging on opensuse 42.1

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

yes, it may be an USB driver problem. There are two USB printer port drivers available (also called "CUPS backends") - the generic CUPS usb printer backend ("usb://...") and the TurboPrint specific("tpu://...") that additionally supports printer status monitoring during printing. When you setup a printer in TurboPrint, the "tpu" backend is chosen as default.

I recommend to try if it helps to change the backend setting:

1. Open TurboPrint Control and check which URI is visible in the list of printers, column "URI". Please also send me this information.

2. Click on "Edit". If the URI was "usb://" then select the port entry "<printer name> TP-USB". If the URI was "tpu://..." select the port entry "<printer name> USB".

3. Confirm with "OK" and try if you can print

The "License not valid for this version" means that for the current TurboPrint version 2.40 a license key update is required.
If we can resolve the problem, you can go back to version 2.35 and your license will work again - or you can purchase an upgrade license key.
cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 »

I think you have resolved my issue.
I was using URI "//USB:....". See Attached
TP URI Display.png
TP URI Display.png (38.43 KiB) Viewed 7138 times
I switched to URI port entry "//TP-USB...." and all seems well again.
In the TP Monitor, I am no longer seeing the status disconnect messages.

While I have your attention, what is recommended for the checkbox in Control Center - Preferences
"Use GPL Ghostscript with extensions for TurboPrint" ? See attached
TP Program Settings.png
TP Program Settings.png (22.47 KiB) Viewed 7138 times
The Monitor Window License issue seems to have disappeared - I do have a 2.40 License.
Perhaps it took a reboot to clear things up.

Unrelated question:
What Forum Tool is used for this forum interface?
It is one of the better ones I have interacted with.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

we recommend to enable the setting "Use GPL Ghostscript with extensions for TurboPrint".

We use phpBB for the forum.