Ubuntu / Canon S9000 hangs at print 6% complete

Questions on Installation
roger

Post by roger »

Install from package went fine except that a library had to be installed first.
However, I can't print. All looks well, but the printer hangs with 6% print indicated and no sound or reaction of any sort from the printer.
Same printer works fine from XP on same machine, same USB port.
I'm using a Phillips MT2500 PC with a new clean Ubuntu Feisty dual-boot install. USB printer connection.
What do I try next?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

there is a known USB device problem with Ubuntu Feisty which has been discussed on another thread in this forum http://www.turboprint.info/support/view ... ?p=244#244
I have a similar problem on an MP600.

I solved it by checking the permissions of /dev/usb*

Turned out that cupsys runs as user "cupsys", which needs to be in group
plugdev. This is on Ubuntu Feisty. So check

ls -l /dev/usb*
ps aux |grep cups
grep plugdev /etc/group

If that is the case for you, you need to

adduser cupsys plugdev
Please let me know if this helps.
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks for your help. Alas, I'm still stuck.

I had in fact noted the printing issue with Feisty after I posted the question, and had followed the fix. So when in response to your advice I typed in
sudo adduser cupsys plugdev
it told me that
The user 'cupsys' is already a member of 'plugdev'.

The printer still hangs with a few percent showing on the turboprint Printer Setup dialog screen

I note that it is saying
'Parallel Port busy, will retry in 30 seconds' but I don't have a parallel port and, as I said in the original post, I installed the Canon as a USB printer. Is that a useful clue?.
roger

Post by roger »

OK, things are much better now.

I gave up trying to install as a USB printer and tried to install as a network printer instead, which is a better alternative for me anyway. And this was a success.

I use a Netgear PS121 print server on my home LAN, and the installation went without a hitch. I can now access the Canon S9000 from either the Ubunto Linux PC or the Windows XP PC on my network. Very pleased. I'm buying a copy of Turboprint.

My thanks for the support.
lenny84

Post by lenny84 »

Ok, I have the same thing happening with my Canon PIXMA MP450. Can you either explain how you set it as a network printer through your local LAN or does anybody know how to change the xtpsetup to look for the printer in the usb ports instead of the parallel port? As far as I know this printer only has a usb port so if it's on the list of drivers I'm assuming you must be able to make it work via usb. thanks!
lenny84

Post by lenny84 »

Ok, that's twice that I've felt stupid on here because I've figured it out five minutes after posting. It was as simple as closing xtpsetup and reopening and tada, :usb/canon/mp450 or whatever showed up automatically! It's so easy when you do it right! 8)