Installing on Puppy Linux 3.0.1

Questions on Installation
samsung

Installing on Puppy Linux 3.0.1

Post by samsung »

Hi

I am trying to install turbo print also on Toutou Puppy the French version, I have extracted the files to / and then run ./setup

the program reports that it cannot start the xwindows installation tool but continues anyway then reports that that /var/log/turboprint/install.log does not exist, then it shows me where it will install files and asks me if I wish to continue I say yes and it again reports the above missing directory as well as lib/install-static.

I look for the executables in /usr/bin and they do not exist.

Any one have any ideas

Sam
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

I suspect that the GUI installation can't be started because libraries are missing.

To find out which libraries enter from command line

ldd bin/xtpsetup

(the TurboPrint installation directory must be the current directory).
samsung

Post by samsung »

Hello

I tried to run ldd /bin/xtpsetup, but it could not find the file so I ran

ldd xtpsetup

which returns this list of libraries;

linux-gate.so.1, libgtk-1.2.so.1, libgdk-1.2.so.1, libgmodule-1.2.so.1, libglib-1.2.so.1, libXi.so.6, libXext.so.6, libX11.so.6, libd1.so.2, libm.so.6, libc.so.6, libXau.so.6, libxcb-xlib.so.0, libxcb.so.1, libXdmcp.so.6.

I am trying to install version one as I have a keyfile for this, any ideas where I can get the above libraries.

Thanks

Sam
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Probably not all these libraries are missing, e.g.

libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7a57000)

means library was found

libdl.so.2 => (not found)

means not found.

The libraries libgtk-1.2.so.1, libgdk-1.2.so.1, libgmodule-1.2.so.1, libglib-1.2.so.1 belong together, the package may be named "gtk" or "gtk-1.2".
samsung

Post by samsung »

Hi again,

Thanks for the heads up re the output from ldd, so in fact only linux-gate.so.1 is missing. I have searched the puppy linux forums but have not found it yet. Would you know where I might find a copy.

EDIT.

Ok read here http://www.trilithium.com/johan/2005/08/linux-gate/ that linux gate is not a file at all. So tried running xtpsetup from the console and get file not found. If I click on the file I get the xtpsetup but when I click on ADD the window closes. All the other buttons seem to work.

Any ideas

Thanks

Sam
samsung

Post by samsung »

Any chance of a reply here and a litle friendly linux help, because I am stuck.

Here is the problem.

I have extracted the files to /turboprintXXXXXX and then from that directory I type at the command line ./setup the message ./setup line 47: bin/tpsetup No such file or directory.

Then it asks me to select an installation language English or Deutsch.

I reply e

A list of directories into which the program will be installed appears I select y to begin the installation

This appears

./setup line 203 lib/install-static. No such file or directory
./setup line 208 lib/install-post. No such file or directory
./setup line 212 lib/install-info. No such file or directory

HTML documentation can be found in XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX do you want to read the manual y/n.

I select no.

I search /bin to find the xtpsetup program and run this from a command the xtpsetup program window appears, I select ADD the window dissappears and the console reports segmentation fault.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it,

Sam
samsung

Post by samsung »

Hi

Can someone please tell me what the segmentation fault is I get when trying to ADD a printer using XTPSETUP.

For full details please read the prevoius post.

Thanks

Sam
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the setup script reports that "tpsetup" and some of the "install-..." files are missing.

A possible explanation is that the download of the .tgz file was not complete. The file turboprint-1.96-4.tgz should have a length of 7925438bytes.