Re-install Turboprint

Questions on Installation
davet

Re-install Turboprint

Post by davet »

Through my own stupidity, I've managed to break my TurboPrint install so that it no longer shows any USB printer devices (printer is connected and turned on). When I re-install, (or Uninstall and install again) the same problem continues.

Looking at the file system, uninstall seems to leave quite a lot of stuff behind.

Is there any way I can do a complete uninstall so that I can re-install afresh and get my printer working again?

Thanks.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello davet,

printer detection on the USB port is not directly performed by TurboPrint but by some system drivers. Probably your printer is not detected by the system printer setup either?
Thus a reinstallation of TurboPrint will not solve your problem.

By entering the following command in a shell window should show all detected printers on the USB ports:

sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
(enter your superuser password when asked).
davet

Post by davet »

Hi,

Thanks for the response - much appreciated. I've run the command you suggested, and I see the following -

direct usb://Canon/Pro9000 "Canon Pro9000" "Canon Pro9000 USB #1" "MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe;SOJ:TXT01;MDL:Pro9000;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon Pro9000;VER:1.02;STA:10;FSI:03;HRI:OTH;"

However, from the TurboPrint printer setup, I only see Parallel port or 'other'. Choosing the latter allows me to set up a printer (to get this to happen, I had to 'sudo chmod o+rw' turboprint.cfg and pagesizes.lst). Unfortunately , the 'configured' printer does not then appear in the list of available printers from other programs, and nothing happens when I try and print a test page.

The printer works fine from a Windows Virtual Machine, and did work from TurboPrint. The problem arose following an upgrade to Ubuntu 'Jaunty' when TurboPrint refused to talk to its Daemon. I tried uninstall and reinstall to no effect, so decided to try and remove the obvious TurboPrint directories that had been left behind manually. This led to my current set of problems ...
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

You can enter the printer connection manually in TurboPrint Setup. Choose "other" as port and enter "usb://Canon/Pro9000" as URI as shown in your command line output.
davet

Post by davet »

Hi - thanks, tried your suggestion. When running TurboPrint from a terminal, get the following errors when trying to create a new printer -

ERROR:
inifile::write: could not open output file
/usr/share/turboprintprofiles/pagesizes.lst
ERROR:
printcap::create_dir: mkdir returned 13
ERROR:
printcap::create_file: fopen failed
ERROR:
printcap::create_dir: mkdir returned 13
ERROR:
printcap::create_file: fopen failed
ERROR:
printcap::update_printcap: could not open output file
ERROR:
printcap::write_configfile: can't write config file
ERROR:
xtpsetup handle_button_main_add(): could not write setup

Nothing appears in TurboPrint list, but if I shut it down and open it again, the printer is listed. However, it still doesn't appear in the list of available printers when I try and print (e.g. from FireFox). Print Test page also does nothing.

Possibly a permissions issue on some of the TurboPrint directories?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

please check if the directory /usr/share/turboprint exists (owner root, readable for everyone).

There is a new TurboPrint version 2.10 available that fixes the problem with TurboPrint Monitor reporting "no connection to TurboPrint daemon" - you could uninstall and install the new TurboPrint version 2.10.

Deinstallation is done using the Synaptic package manager (if you installed the .deb package) or from command line using the TurboPrint setup tool (.tgz archive). If you are having problems - what files are "left behind"?
davet

Post by davet »

Hi,

Yes, the directory did exist. I tried reinstalling the latest version with no success.

On uninstall, I get the following -

The following packages will be REMOVED
turboprint
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
After this operation, 33.4MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 141878 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing turboprint ...
cat: /etc/turboprint/system.cfg: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `/var/spool/lpd/turbo1remote': No such file or directory
lpd server pid 32019 on dave-laptop, sending SIGHUP
Processing triggers for man-db ...

Afterwards,

/etc/turboprint
/usr/local/share/gpturboprint
/usr/share/turboprintprofiles

all seem to be left behind.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

something with the package management is incorrect.

Please delete the directories

/etc/turboprint
/usr/local/share/gpturboprint
/usr/share/turboprintprofiles

and download & install the .tgz archive of TurboPrint 2.10 - store the file turboprint-2.10-1.i586.tgz in your personal directory /home/<username>.

Then open a terminal window and enter the following commands

tar xzf turboprint-2.10-1.i586.tgz
cd turboprint-2.10-1
sudo ./setup
davet

Post by davet »

Hi,

It works!

Thank you so much for your help (and patience!) - I really appreciate it.

Best wishes.

davet