Epson 1400 bad result

Questions on certain printers and applications
ConnyO

Epson 1400 bad result

Post by ConnyO »

I have tried all possible options to get PrintFab to print with a deep black, but it always ends with a dark grey. It itsn't even close to Epsons driver and even further from Gutenprint.
With all the possibilities, and the price, I was hoping to get a better result.

I'm printing with OS X 10.5.2, Photoshop CS3 and PrintFab 2.09.
I have printed both with or without icc profile. I have also managed to get a REALLY dark picture, but still just a dark grey black.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I still want to believe in PrintFab as it sounds like a great product for my needs.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

print quality should be good if you choose the correct media type. In most cases, color management should be switched off in the application's print dialog (see the PrintFab PDF manual, chapter 11 "Printing from Applications).

Can you please post some information:

- application used
- type of document printed (RGB / CMYK)

- which paper do you print on?
- which media type is selected in the print dialog (section "PrintFab Settings", index card "Main")?
- which print quality is selected?
- what are the settings in the print dialog, section "PrintFab Settings", index card "Color" (Intent, Mode, Colorspace)?
ConnyO

Post by ConnyO »

Application: Photoshop CS 3
Document: RGB
Paper: Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper
Media: Epson Premium Glossy
Print Quality: 5760 dpi
Intent: Perception (I have also tried Perception Photo)
Mode: Color (RGB)
Colorspace: Adobe RGB (I have also tried sRGB)

I have made an icc profile, but the problem are visibible on the test chart to begin with. I had hopes that the controls for total ink available with profiles should solve it, but it did not.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

is it correct that your are printing using an ICC profile that you have created for PrintFab and installed using PrintFab Toolbox?

In this case there may be a problem in the process of ICC profile creation.

Is black insufficient also if you are using PrintFab's built-in profile (media setting "Epson Premium Glossy"?
ConnyO

Post by ConnyO »

Black is insufficient on the test chart to begin with. Of course it's not any better after the icc profile creation.

I have also tried to print with the built-in profile with the same dissapointing result.

Color management is off in Photoshop so that's not the problem.

No matter how I try, I can't get enough black from the printer. Maybe the problem is the built-in profile itself?
ConnyO

Post by ConnyO »

Hi!

It's been nine days... Just curious if you have any idea.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

It would be helpful to have the printfab log file "printfab_cups.log"
emailed after printing a document with unsifficient black:

- Open "Applications" / "Utilities" / "Console"
- Click on "Logs"
- Choose the log file: double click "/var/log", then "printfab_cups.log"
- Select the menu "File" / "Save a Copy As" and save the file to your home
directory so that you can include it with your email

Post the log file or email to mail at zedonet dot com

Thanks!
ConnyO

Post by ConnyO »

I have emailed the log file. I'm still afraid that the built-in profile is the problem, but I hope not.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

the log file looks perfect - 100% black used to print RGB=0,0,0 in all prints (plus ca. 25% of cmy depending on the profile).

Two questions:

- do you use original Epson ink or compatible cartridges
- if you print a nozzle test page (available in PrintFab Toolbox): is the staircase pattern for the black ink nozzles complete?
ConnyO

Post by ConnyO »

I use original Epson ink (Claria). The nozzle check is OK, I have also printed with Epsons driver and Gutenprint before and after. Both have 2-3 times deeper black (to my eye).
I can add that I have worked as a scanner operator/retoucher for more than 20 years, so I am not imagining things :-)

I thought that the total ink option should let me print with more ink than 100% black plus ca 25% cmy... If not, what does it do?
If there's no way to get more ink to the black the application is useless to me. The printer is capable of printing a lot darker black without problems.

Thank you for your help, so far!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

I checked our linearization protocols - 100% black had an L value of 2.5 (Lab color space) on our printer which is quite dark.

Are prints with 1440dpi or 2880dpi darker than prints with 5760dpi?
ConnyO

Post by ConnyO »

Sorry, I'm not interested in printing at a lower resolution.
I still haven't got an answer to the question about total ink, but I give up now.

Your product is obviously not right for me, and I will continue to look at other print drivers with higher quality.

Thank you for your time!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Sorry - I didn't want to advice you to do all your prints at a lower quality.

It would be helpful for me to find the reason for the problem. So if you have the time and patience please make comparison prints at 1440dpi and 2880dpi.

It is possible to increase total ink by increasing the "Ink limit Black" slider - I can see from your log file that you already have tried this, but for an unknown reason this didn't have the desired effect.