Canon MP620 driver

Questions on certain printers and applications
ChrisG

Canon MP620 driver

Post by ChrisG »

I have just heard about PrintFab and downloaded a 30-day trial.
I am very impressed with the improvement in colour reproduction and I'm just starting to explore the other settings.
Can you tell me about the "Ink Info" tab. It only has data for Black, Yellow, Magenta and Cyan and does not differentiate between the two different Black cartridges fitted in the MP620. (I was hoping to find out why my printer uses the Pixma 520PGBK almost exclusively, and not the 521 ChromaLife 100+ Black.)
Is it possible for me to adjust the usage balance between these two blacks?

Thanks
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The Canon MP620 printer (and most other Canon printers that have both "pigment black" and "foto black") use only one of the black inks at a time dependend on the media setting:

plain paper -> larger cartridge with pigmented black (PGI 520)

other paper -> smaller cartdridge with foto black (CLI 521)

This is defined by printer firmware - the driver can online set the media type.

When printing photos, not as much black as expected may be used because brighter shades of grey are mixed out of colored inks (less visible grain - also Canon's original drivers do that).

With PrintFab, you can adjust this behaviour: Print dialog -> PrintFab Settings -> Tab "Ink control" -> Black Level (slider up => use more black, slider down -> less black).

In the print dialog, tab "Ink Info", you can see the relative percentage of black, cyan, magenta and yellow image used for a page (values are displayed for the last page printed before the print dialog was opened).
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Thank you for a very clear explanation. Now I understand that the choice of paper determines which black ink is used. I am really appreciating the fine control PrintFab allows and the ease with which it makes it possible to achieve superior results over Canon's driver.

May I ask if you will be adding a new profile for Canon's Pro Platinum photo paper (PT-101) in a future release. I know that I could do it myself using your profiling service but other users may find this a useful addition.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

If you send a profile chart printed on Canon PT101 paper, we could measure it at no cost and provide this profile also to other users.
Choose "glossy paper", highest print resolution, inklimit=250 when setting up the profile entry.