ICC profile

dglen

ICC profile

Post by dglen »

I'm sure this has been covered a million times. I looked at the forum and think I know the answer but I want to confirm.

I have purchased some of PrintFab's profile measurement credits. Would I get an ICC profile back from PrintFab? I ask as I'm doing color management in Adobe CS5 suite and soft proofing needs an ICC profile.

Thanks for the patience in having to, yet again, deal with ICC profile questions.

dglen
zedonet
Site Admin

Re: ICC profile

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

currently we don't send ICC profiles but profiles in our own format. We plan to provide "hybrid" profiles in the future that can be used for softproofing and contain the extended information required by PrintFab.
lajoiephoto

Post by lajoiephoto »

I’ve been disappointed on the degree of saturation I’m getting in PrintFab. Are you saying that PrintFab will not recognize or read a .icc profile. I’ve created two or three profiles in the utility and imported .icc profiles as color information thinking the new creation will use the .icc profile I copied from Library/Colorsync/profiles. Am I way off base here? Are only Zedonet profiles usable?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello lajoiephoto,

PrintFab "Home L" and PrintFab "Pro" can also read and work with standard ICC profiles. However, the profiles should be added in the PrintFab color management to a new profile entry (will be offered as "paper" in the print dialog later) with PrintFab Toolbox. Profiles in the colorsync directory are not loaded by PrintFab. When using the internal PrintFab colormanagement, you should not use additional profiles in the print dialog.
Note that when using .icc profiles, these profiles must have been created using a color chart printed by your PrintFab driver - otherwise colors will not be perfect. This is because different printer drivers produce different color output even without color management as every driver has its own dithering and color mixing technique.
When creating a new profile entry in PrintFab, you can set the maximum ink intensity that your paper can absorb. This ink intensity is used when printing the color chart then, so you should be able to achieve a good saturation with the new profile.
If you do not happen to have your own spectrophotometer for measuring a color chart, you may also use our color profile creation service (EUR 14.95 per profile).