Ink saturation limit

yannb

Ink saturation limit

Post by yannb »

Hello,

Recently I bought a Home license for Printfab, and now I'd like to create a printer profile for a 200gsm glossy photo paper. Therefore, I need to determine the optimum ink limit for my printer, an Epson Stylus Photo R800.

Whenever I print the ink limit test row, it's always printed at 5760 dpi regardless the chosen resolution in the settings dialog box. Every test patch, from 200 to 300% is wet. To be safe I set the ink limit to 150, the lowest value available.

Next, I created a small RGB color chart with Measuretool, part of Profilemaker, and printed it with Photoshop through the Printfab driver with the 'empty' media profile selected. Even now a lot of patches were wet, so it seems like the ink limiting is not working. The color chart from the Printfab Toolbox exhibits ink bleeding as well.

The same Measuretool color chart printed with the regular Epson driver shows no ink bleeding. The settings used were Premium Glossy Photo Paper, PhotoRPM resolution, bidirectional, no gloss optimizer, color management off.

Another problem with printing the ink limit test, is that each time first a blank page is ejected from the printer, and then the test page is printed.

What could be the reason for these problems?

Regards,
Yann Bouckaert
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

there is actually a problem with too much ink being applied on profile test charts with the R800. We will provide a fix soon. I could not recreate the "blank page" problem with the current PrintFab 2.05 - which PrintFab version are you using?
yannb

Post by yannb »

zedonet wrote:Hello,

there is actually a problem with too much ink being applied on profile test charts with the R800. We will provide a fix soon. I could not recreate the "blank page" problem with the current PrintFab 2.05 - which PrintFab version are you using?
Thanks for the reply and the upcoming fix.
The blank page ejects only if I print the ink limit test. Other jobs are fine. I use Printfab 2.05.
serge_g

Post by serge_g »

zedonet wrote:Hello,

I have completely the same problem with latest Turboprint 2.11-2 and r800.
Is a fix for turboprint also possible?

Thanks!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

there is a workaround:

when creating a new profile for glossy/semiglossy paper, choose "Other paper" instead of "Glossy paper".

This will also use glossy black (and gloss enhancer, if you enable it), but will apply less ink.
serge_g

Post by serge_g »

Ok, thanks, I will try
serge_g

Post by serge_g »

The result of the test is "250". Is it OK?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

sounds good!
serge_g

Post by serge_g »

Ok, need to try to explain my problem

I want to use the local profiling service. They have their own charts, which I need to print without color correction.

Selecting Epson Premium Glossy photo paper and printing without color correction yields ink bleeding.

Changing the "total ink maximum" does not help.
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Is there still too much ink on the chart if you choose "Other paper" and "175%" ink?