Ilford paper profiles?

Other questions
thearne3

Ilford paper profiles?

Post by thearne3 »

Hi,

The documentation says that some other paper products are included 'such as Kodak and ilford'. I don't see any ilford papers listed when in PrintFab Settings. Are there any? I am using the Canon MP830 and would like to see a profile for Ilford Smooth Glossy.

Thanks!
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

we didn't create profiles for Ilford papers for the latest drivers as Ilford papers are no longer available - please correct me if I'm wrong.
thearne3

Ilford paper profiles?

Post by thearne3 »

Many believe that the paper sold in Costco stores under the name Kirkland Professional is in fact made by Ilford. If old Ilford drivers exist, would be worth trying.

Thanks for our reply!
nlx

Post by nlx »

i Tried to import the profiles of the new Smooth Heavy Weight Matte Paper in Prinfab for my Printer (b8850) but the results are horrible. I Wonder if i can do that (import generic ICC profiles) ?

Seems profiles are provided, why do you say they stopped ?
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

in most cases, it is not possible to use ICC profiles that were created for the manufacturer's printer driver (HP's original driver, in this case) for PrintFab (or for any other RIP software) - this is because of different linearization curves and different ink mixing techniques (which combination of cyan / light cyan and black / gray inks is used).

To get proper results, you will have to create an ICC profile by printing a color chart with PrintFab. Of course you can also use our profiling service - for details, see the PrintFab PDF manual, chapter 9 & chapter 5.
Seems profiles are provided, why do you say they stopped ?
It was difficult to purchase Ilford paper for a while (Ilford went bankrupt and was taken over), now Ilford paper is available again.
nlx

Post by nlx »

When i use the generic inkjet profile from printfab, it seems i got too much ink on the paper, because the paper makes 'waves' (don't know the name in english, the paper is not more flat).

I understand how making a specific profile for the printer/paper can correct the colors shifts, but can it solve the problem of the right amount of ink the paper can 'handle' ?