FC6, Picasa only shows 600DPI for IP4000 Canon printer.

Linux distribution specific questions
gimmee

FC6, Picasa only shows 600DPI for IP4000 Canon printer.

Post by gimmee »

Hi all

I have FC6 64bit with a Canon PIXIMA IP4000R printer. I downloaded TurboPrint FreeEdition 1.95-2 64 bit and installed.

Setup for GIMP and Openoffice with highest DPI on photopaper and prints out nice with turboprint logo.

With FC6 if I run system-config-printers this shows the available printers. I have one setup as my normal gutenprint printing which is set to print at 600DPI on plain paper. It also shows the turboprint printer and it shows as default or seems to always use Media Type: Plain Paper and Print Quality: 600DPI. If I change these to say Photo Glossy and 4800DPI which show up as options to choose in drop down menus then go and click on save I get an error message CUPS Server error: There was an error during the CUPS operation 'server-error-internal-error'.

When I use Picasa or Konqueror to print and i choose the turboprint printer to print with it keeps using these values of 600DPI and Plain Paper. There are no options like in GIMP or Openoffice to apply the high settings I want to try under picasa or konqueor or even gThumbViewer.

Hope I have explained myself with some sense.

Look forward to any insights to this.

Cheers

Gimmee :):)
gimmee

same with cups

Post by gimmee »

Hi all

I tried using the cups web interface and when trying to change the setting it keeps telling me I dont have permission to do such and such to ppd file. I tried changing permissions on actual ppd file but it still didnt work.

I then edited the ppd file directly and changed the Defaults to what I wanted and the new defaults now show up under cups web server although picasa still only shows 600*600DPI

Cheers

Gimmee
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

Picasa shows the "rendering resolution" - the resolution at which the image is sent to the printer driver. The driver does halftoning at 4800dpi.

Picasa does not allow to change print resolution - instead the default must be changed in TurboPrint Config / command line "xtpconfig".