The turboprint deamon is frequently dying with a segfault on my Debian testing amd64
system. Here's what I can see in the logs :
Mar 31 14:52:28 dunottar kernel: [ 50.338882] tprintdaemon: segfault at 7ffff9bb6406 ip 000000000041389c sp 00007ffff9ba7860 error 6 in tprintdaemon[400000+2f000]
Apr 1 21:32:32 dunottar kernel: [ 49.868068] tprintdaemon: segfault at 7fffed1d9d9a ip 000000000041389c sp 00007fffed1cdca0 error 6 in tprintdaemon[400000+2f000]
Apr 5 20:18:53 dunottar kernel: [ 49.058570] tprintdaemon: segfault at 7fff4aef4706 ip 000000000041389c sp 00007fff4aee9ad0 error 6 in tprintdaemon[400000+2f000]
Apr 6 14:04:07 dunottar kernel: [ 47.014308] tprintdaemon: segfault at 7fff6d96e0eb ip 000000000041389c sp 00007fff6d95e0f0 error 6 in tprintdaemon[400000+2f000]
Apr 6 16:55:35 dunottar kernel: [10334.292531] tprintdaemon: segfault at 7fd8c52cd1df ip 000000000041389c sp 00007fd8c52c2660 error 7 in tprintdaemon[400000+2f000]
Apr 6 16:57:27 dunottar kernel: [10446.717523] tprintdaemon: segfault at 7fffe705905f ip 000000000041389c sp 00007fffe704d8c0 error 6 in tprintdaemon[400000+2f000]
Apr 6 17:03:38 dunottar kernel: [10817.534610] tprintdaemon: segfault at 7f391a5df40a ip 000000000041389c sp 00007f391a5db660 error 7 in tprintdaemon[400000+2f000]
The last segfaults happened when I restarted the daemon by hand.
This happened already with previous versions of Turboprint (currently 2.29-1).
The printing works but I have no information on the ink levels etc.
If there's a debug version of the daemon I'll gladly try to run it in a debugger or send the core dumps to you.
PS. Kernel = standard Wheezy kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 or 3.2.39-2 in Debian nomenclature
Code: Select all
In a terminal window, run the command lpadmin -p <printer> -o usb-unidir-default=true with <printer> being the name of your printer as displayed by the "lpstat -p" command. Now turn off and turn on your printer, then try to print several jobs. Does this solve the problem? If not, run lpadmin -p <printer> -R usb-unidir-default and then lpadmin -p <printer> -o usb-no-reattach-default=true Again, turn off and turn on your printer, then try to print several jobs. Does this solve the problem? If not, try lpadmin -p <printer> -o usb-no-reattach-default=true lpadmin -p <printer> -o usb-unidir-default=true and turn off and turn on your printer, then try to print several jobs. Does this solve the problem? Please tell what works for you. Thanks If nothing works, reset all to defaults via lpadmin -p <printer> -R usb-no-reattach-default lpadmin -p <printer> -R usb-unidir-default
For me the daemon only runs once immediatly after first install of Turboprint, but never again. I did carefully try all the methods listed for fedora but non worked, so at present I can print ok through Turboprint but without any ink info.
(Isn't this a really old problem? i seem to remember this appearing years ago!)
Guess my action must have triggered some change TP likes, so hopefully it sticks.........
I could not reproduce the problem on our Debian Wheezy installation. However, the segfault report posted by mbulik pointed to a line in the source code where a buffer overrun might occur.
I'm going to send you a new version of TurboPrint daemon by email and would be happy if you could try it and let me know the result.
First I've tried the solution proposed by credonet by setting :
lpadmin -p <printer> -o usb-unidir-default=true
It helped when the daemon was already running but it crashed sometimes on startup.
Now I'm testing the beta version send to me by Florian from Zedonet and it was
100% stable until now but I was running it from the terminal after having stopped
the 2.29-1. Now I've replaced the tpdaemon in /usr/bin by the beta and I'll keep
you informed how it runs.
Thanks to all for your help,