TP under Sabayon (Gentoo) can't find my USB port

Linux distribution specific questions
rebbi

TP under Sabayon (Gentoo) can't find my USB port

Post by rebbi »

Hi,

I've used TP, with registration key, successfully with PCLinuxOS (Mandriva based) and Mepis (Ubuntu based).

Under Sabayon (Gentoo based) after what looked like a successful installation from the tar archive, TP Setup doesn't seem to see my USB port. I can select Canon iP 1700 from the printer list, but under device name, I only get a choice of /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1 -- no USB connection is listed. I tried reinstalling TP but it didn't fix this.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

Hello,

you can also enter manually in TurboPrint Setup /dev/usblp0 or /dev/usb/lp0.

If the CUPS USB backend detects the printer it should also be listed in TurboPrint Setup. You can try to execute

/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb

(from a root command line) to check if CUPS sees the printer.
rebbi

Okay, now I'm really frustrated...

Post by rebbi »

I reinstalled Sabayon Linux just to make certain that nothing was messed up in my CUPS installation.

Now, it seems that CUPS sees the printer. It shows up in the printing section of the KDE Control Center as iP1700, attached to my USB port. It also shows up in Konquerer when I log on to localhost:631. When I type /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb into a root shell, it returns "no such file or directory" (am I missing a command there?)

In TP Setup, my USB connection still is not offered as an option in the drop down menu. I tried entering the connection manually as suggested, but the test print didn't work.

Okay, what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,

SF[/b]
zedonet
Site Admin

Post by zedonet »

The command may be /usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb (gentoo Linux) or /usr/lib64/cups/backend/usb (64bit Linux).

You can also add the driver from KDE control center or from localhost:631 - choose "Canon TurboPrint" as manufacturer.